Lime Green Poop

saltytaco728

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2016
Michigan
I have a four month old Silkie who is pooping lime green. She is standing in the corner, hardly eating or drinking. This happened to my other Silkie a few months back when she was 6 months old and she died. Everything I read is telling me something different but no one knows what it is. Please help.

The green poop can be a sign that she is starving herself. Can you either take some of her droppings in to a local vet for a fecal test, or take her in as well? What are her coop mates like? Could she be kept from eating and drinking by others, so that she has become too weak? I would put some SaveAChick vitamins with electrolytes into her water, and try to get some fluids into her now. Poultry NutriDrench given 1 ml daily can also be good instead, then give water. Try offering a bit of chopped egg, canned tuna, liver, or something she might eat. You also could check into tube feeding her twice a day while figuring out what is wrong. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? So many things can affect them that it is best to rule out as many illnesses as possible. I would check her over for lice or mites which are tiny bugs under the vent, under wings, or on the neck. Feel of her crop to make sure it is empty, or possibly impacted. If you lose her, you can contact your state vet or poultry lab to do a necropsy, just to find out what might be hapening.

I have a four month old Silkie who is pooping lime green. She is standing in the corner, hardly eating or drinking. This happened to my other Silkie a few months back when she was 6 months old and she died. Everything I read is telling me something different but no one knows what it is. Please help.

Lime green is usually bile which means the liver is not functioning properly and the bird isn't getting nourishment. As @Eggcessive mentioned, it could be because she's not getting enough food. It could also mean a host of other liver issues. The important thing is to isolate her, keep her warm, dry and get some nutrients in her right away. @Eggcessive had great advice in using sav-a-chick, or nutridrench in water right away. Also there's a whole tubefeeding thread that @casportpony wrote HERE. Take some stool in for a fecal to your vet, they might be able to tell you more and if she does pass, please consider sending her for a necropsy.

Among many other illnesses, lime green can also mean Coccidiosis. 4 months old is a ripe age for Cocci. You might try some Corid for 7 days and see if it doesn't clear up the poop. 1 1/2 teaspoons of Corid per gallon of water for the powdered, 2 teaspoons of Corid for the liquid. You can cut this down for quart waterers and use only plastic. Make a new batch daily.

Good luck and keep us posted! :)

Can you post a picture of the poop?

-Kathy

This is the poop I found today. I also attached a picture of their coop. I have 5 silkies in this coop because they were so young when I got them I didn't want to just stick them in my big coop.
Right now my silkie is in the house in a dog crate with scrambled eggs and Sav-a-chick electrolyte water. So far she hasn't touched the eggs but has drank some of the water. She has pooped since being in the house and it is mostly liquid with a bit of solid green particles in it.

She refused to eat the eggs. I am spoon feeding her some yogurt. All I had was Activia. She seems to like the yogurt. She is having trouble standing up and is breathing weird. Are these symptoms of anything else?

How is your pullet doing today? A vet may be a good and quick way to get a diagnosis. Corid for possible coccidiosis could help if that is her problem, and the vet test for that or you can get some from the feed store and start it. Try some different foods, just a small amount of chopped meat, liver, tuna just to tempt her to eat some protein. Since she likes yogurt. You can take some small bread crumbs, and mix part of a raw egg and a tsp of yogurt to coat them. Most chickens love this at my house. Tube feeding as described in the thread "Go team tube feeding" by Googling or doing a search at the top of this page, could help keep her alive to see if she will recover. Silkies can be a bit delicate to deal with, so I hope she gets better.

Also, make sure to keep the hair trimmed out of the eyes. If they can't see properly, they don't get enough nutrients. You might also get some liquid vitamins into her. I am a HUGE fan of Poly Vi Sol (always use the formula without iron), these are liquid human baby vitamins and you can get these in most pharmacies with the adult vitamins. They work very fast and you will see results in sick, aging and healing birds fast. About .4ml under the tongue and 10 mins later it hits the blood stream. Silkies need extra vitamins to keep them healthy. You might offer these up once a day for a full week and then back down to a couple of times a week until you get her back on her feet.

Back
Top Bottom