Limited budget - Need to build pen

peafowlmom

Songster
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
Summerville ,SC
I have 4 juvenile peacocks and plan on getting more. They are in a really neat temporary pen. I wanted to know if anyone had some suggestions about materials, shape, size of pens for someone with a budget? Should I build with an eye towards them becoming adults? Also the chickens took over my adult breeding pen but from the looks of the breeding pens I have seen on here so far ours wrong. My husband can build anything. I don't know if his ideas on this are gonna be? Um the right way to go. I would like ya'lls opinion, please.

Housewife/Homeschool Mom, 2 India Blues, 1 Black Sh. India, 2 juvenile India's , 2 juvenile White's, 16 Golden Laced Cochin Bantams, 7 Easter egg chickens, 2 dogs.

Last edited:
Craigslist is an awesome source for materials. Old privacy fence panels, sheet metal, anything you can imagine. Do you have any buildings that could serve as 1 side to your pen? Less labor & materials. Most of my pen is recycled materials that have been repurposed. Aviary netting was my biggest expense. We are still building ours. But getting close to the finish line!

I bought my wood at home depot, $300 buys a lot of wood LOL. I built a shed for them. Even though they go into it very little I know I have a safe place to put them if bad weather strikes. So when planning out your pen and coop/shed/building keep in mind that it needs to hold up to whatever weather you get in your area. I think the costliest pieces to the pen were actually the netting on the top and the fencing. To fence in my 50 x 65 pen it cost me about $300 - 400 and the netting cost me between $200 -300. Like I said $300 buys a lot of wood. I used P/T yard timber is is only $3.97 at my home depot and each is 8 feet long. The shed cost me about 300 to build for materials maybe a little less. The windows cost about $60 each and I have 3. The siding cost me $60 which I got as leftovers from a siding company. I do have pictures if you search my "topics"

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom