Limp chicken not moving not hurt physically in any way hardly breathing

Savdye

Chirping
Jul 22, 2023
I went to my coop today and one of my chickens was laying there not moving I thought she was dead till I saw her hardly breathing basically gasping I don’t know what’s happening I’ve had the flock peck one to death and attack another one a few days apart now this one is unharmed but almost dead what do I do what’s causing all this

We are going to need more information. How old are the birds, sexes, how many in how much space? How long have you had them? Where are you, generally, in the world? Is it hot where you are? Can you post some pictures of your set up, coop and run? What do you feed, including treats? Have you seen any symptoms of illness, abnormal droppings, sneezing, coughing, wheezing, discharge from nares, beak, eyes? Are they eating and drinking normally?

I went to my coop today and one of my chickens was laying there not moving I thought she was dead till I saw her hardly breathing basically gasping I don’t know what’s happening I’ve had the flock peck one to death and attack another one a few days apart now this one is unharmed but almost dead what do I do what’s causing all this
Update, she just died I don’t know what’s going on she was fine yesterday someone please help

We are going to need more information. How old are the birds, sexes, how many in how much space? How long have you had them? Where are you, generally, in the world? Is it hot where you are? Can you post some pictures of your set up, coop and run? What do you feed, including treats? Have you seen any symptoms of illness, abnormal droppings, sneezing, coughing, wheezing, discharge from nares, beak, eyes? Are they eating and drinking normally?
The coop is 10 by 18 there were 8 chickens they are 3 months old they were eating and drinking fine yesterday I’m in Las Vegas all female and I’m feeding them a medicated feed from the farm store

Have you seen any abnormal droppings? I assume it's very hot there, do they have access to ways to cool themselves? Heat stroke is very real and can happen fast.

Have you seen any abnormal droppings? I assume it's very hot there, do they have access to ways to cool themselves? Heat stroke is very real and can happen fast.
It happened over night when it was someone coolish, they have fresh water daily and I go out there a few times a day with the hose on a mister setting and spray them and part of the coop down so they have cool place to lay, I had a kiddie pool out there but they didn’t like it

Also no abnormal droppings everyone was perfectly fine yesterday

If you can run a hose so it puddles, a sprinkler all the time, add ice/frozen water bottles to your waterers to keep them cool, a fan, put some shallow dishes of water in the shade that they can stand in, etc. It helps. With nothing else to go on, I would do that. If you can, I would see about having a necropsy done, that will tell you for sure what happened, and if it's something that could affect your flock or not. Heat is really an issue this time of year. Depending on the ventilation in your coop, it could still be too warm, hard for me to say. During the summer I run a box fan in one of my coop windows to help move the air in there. I have lost two birds this summer to the heat already, it's a very hot/humid summer.
Necropsy resources:
https://poultrydvm.com/labs/nevada-state-vet-lab
https://agri.nv.gov/Animals/Animal_Disease/Animal_Disease_Home/

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom