Limp Gone Horribly Wrong, Help?

She's still the same today.
I had a similar situation just happen. Our girl dragged one leg and had curled toes. We kept her separated and waited it out thinking it was a leg injury.

For two or three weeks she never improved. She eventually lost use of both legs. Appetite was good and she'd shuffle and crawl to food and water so we hoped for the best.

She was very skinny and besides her motor skills seemed attentive and present.

We ultimately decided she had mereks since chickens apparently can get mereks even if vaccinated. This was a young hen, not laying yet, maybe 4 months old. :(

I had a similar situation just happen. Our girl dragged one leg and had curled toes. We kept her separated and waited it out thinking it was a leg injury.

For two or three weeks she never improved. She eventually lost use of both legs. Appetite was good and she'd shuffle and crawl to food and water so we hoped for the best.

She was very skinny and besides her motor skills seemed attentive and present.

We ultimately decided she had mereks since chickens apparently can get mereks even if vaccinated. This was a young hen, not laying yet, maybe 4 months old. :(
Please forgive me for hijacking this post. I just discovered my 12 week old Barred Plymouth Rock This morning with all of the same leg/foot issues. I got her at 6 weeks from My Pet chicken and she was vaccinated for merreks. I just sat wither her and gave her water/food. She had a normal poop immediately. Interesting thing I could hear "tummy" growling noises while she was eating and drinking. She was doing open mouth breathing.

Attachments

• April sick 11 19 2021.jpg
    April sick 11 19 2021.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 2
  • April poo 11 19 2021.jpg
    April poo 11 19 2021.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Yeah, I don't know. Maybe make her a sling and get her B vitamins and electrolites. If she is only 12 weeks, it might be Marek's even if she is vaccinated. Make sure to separate her.

Unfortunately, we put my chicken down today...

Back
Top Bottom