Limp leg on my Nigerian Dwarf

Thomas Valley Ranch

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2019
I just got my little doeling a few days ago. 9 weeks old... Doing my barn checks I could hear her crying she’s on her side legs up and my pug is licking the heck out of her. I quickly picked her up dried her off, warmed her up and noticed she didn’t want to put weight on her rear left leg. My husband thinks our 7 year old pug traumatized her which licking her could of done that but not wanting to put weight on her leg seems like something else. Our pug is afraid of the cat so I’m assuming he was trying to take care of her. Does anyone know what that could be ?? She’s had her shots and wormed.

You shouldn't let cats or dogs near rabbits. Both have mouths full of bacteria, in particular cats, to the point where a small bite or even just licking an area that's already scratched can cause a sepsis infection.

Check her leg over. See if the joints move right, if any areas feel swollen or inflamed. It might be injured.

What do you feed her? What is her enclosure like? What animal are able to come in contact with her?

You shouldn't let cats or dogs near rabbits. Both have mouths full of bacteria, in particular cats, to the point where a small bite or even just licking an area that's already scratched can cause a sepsis infection.

Check her leg over. See if the joints move right, if any areas feel swollen or inflamed. It might be injured.

What do you feed her? What is her enclosure like? What animal are able to come in contact with her?
A Nigerian Dwarf is a goat breed. A popular breed

Last edited:
Well then, I look like an idiot. I could have sworn it was a breed of rabbit.

The suggestion to check the leg and the questions about how it's kept and what can reach it still apply, though.

Check the joints and see if any are hot, tender, or swollen. Pay particular attention to the knees, hock and stifle joints. Check her temperature and see if she has a fever. She is not too old to have naval ill. Navel ill is caused by bacteria gaining entrance through the navel shortly after birth but it may take a while to manifest itself. The symptoms are hot and swollen joints. It is a systemic infection and if that is the problem a course of antibiotics is in order.

I just got my little doeling a few days ago. 9 weeks old... Doing my barn checks I could hear her crying she’s on her side legs up and my pug is licking the heck out of her. I quickly picked her up dried her off, warmed her up and noticed she didn’t want to put weight on her rear left leg. My husband thinks our 7 year old pug traumatized her which licking her could of done that but not wanting to put weight on her leg seems like something else. Our pug is afraid of the cat so I’m assuming he was trying to take care of her. Does anyone know what that could be ?? She’s had her shots and wormed.
Did you just get the single goat kid? Do you have other goats? More than likely you kid hurt her leg trying to get out and back to where she came from. I would check for breaks and injuries as mentioned. That would require a vet. Otherwise if she just hurt it, it should heal up after a week or two as long as she doesn't injure it again. It's always best to get goat kids in pairs if possible.

Back
Top Bottom