Limping chick with broody

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kmpcfp, Sep 5, 2016.

1. kmpcfp

kmpcfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    We have a broody with 5 2 week chicks in the coop/run with 5 other full-grown chickens (broody has well-established they can't even look at the chicks).

One of the chicks started favoring her leg on Wesnesday sometime between the hours of noon and 5. She hops on one leg to get around and "flies" a lot.

She manages to get in the coop/nest box just fine and for the most part keeps up with the others.

I think the broody accidentally kicked the chick, as she is an overzealous scratcher and I occasionally see chicks being flung from behind her.

Should I continue this wait and see approach? Isolate? (I do have some 4 day olds in a brooder)

I don't see anything visibly wrong with her.

The whole flock is on chick starter/grower and oyster shells for the layers.

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    This happens to me sometimes as well. I would keep a very close eye on her. Usually mine heal by themselves just fine over time.

If it gets worse, I might separate for a day and see if mom will accept when you return the chick (she should).

3. Ecrewe

Ecrewe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2016
    I agree, I think you should leave her with the mother and watch her. I would also add some Brewers yeast or vitamin B supplement to their food. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by