Limping chicken

pauleberly

Chirping
Mar 21, 2016
East TN
I have a rather large cookoo maran hen. Now I only saw she is rather large because she is bigger than my other two marans.

I noticed today that she was limping. Nothing to bad, but she was favoring once side pretty good and she would even hop if she got going to fast. I looked at her foot and didn't see anything to noticeable, and I pushed around her leg and she didn't act like she was in pain.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't think it's bumble foot and I didn't see any splinters or anything but a small cut (see pics) . I did read she might be egg bound?

Look by my thumb, there is a slight gash there. I'm not sure if it would be enough to limp with

And here's a picture of the other foot

Hi

How old is she?
Is there a difference in temperature between the good and bad foot?
Has she started laying yet?
Does it look like numbness (lack of coordination) or pain that is causing her to limp?

There are many things that can cause lameness including injury(I would doubt that minor nick would cause her to be lame), vitamin deficiency, egg binding (although from your description of her, it doesn't sound like that) and disease.

It might be a good idea to try a vitamin supplement... particularly vitamin B complex, but a broad spectrum poultry vitamin supplement (here in the UK we have Nutri-drops.... not sure if that is available in the USA.) and see how she goes.

Best wishes

Barbara

She is less than a year old, laying eggs, and we have not checked the temperature yet

I will check the temperatures when I get home.

She looks like she is limping from pain, but I'm not sure how to double check.

I do have some of those vitamin booster liquid and give her a drop to see if that helps. How do I check for egg bound

I had the same situation with a skinny White Leghorn. She went into the coop at night just fine. The next morning she came out very lame on one leg. Nothing obviously wrong on the leg and foot but when I manipulated the hip she struggled appeared to be in pain. She limped around badly for two weeks then seemed to get better. Then she got bad again and healed up over a month. I think she got hurt jumping off the roost. How high is your roost and do you have a soft landing or them?

The roost is only 10-13 inchs off the coop floor, and the coop flooring to the ground is Maybe 18 inchs.

Both have straw in them. I'm going to try giving it half a baby aspirin / Tylenol and work it leg a little more. I'm hoping it's only a sprain

Got a half a baby Tylenol and a single drop of that vitamin booster into the chicken. I'll see how she is doing tomorrow

I did rotate and put some pressure on her hip / top of leg, she didn't seem to show much discomfort when I did that, and she doesn't show discomfort when I pressed on paws

I also did not feel any noticeable difference in temperature

Back
Top Bottom