Limping Chook!!

Tasha71

Chirping
Jan 21, 2016
Kent, UK
Hello BYC! I have an 18mth old Bluebell who started limping Saturday eve after her free range (I was away at the time and got a message from her carers). I asked them to try and inspect her leg and foot, and aside from a dirt scab on her left footpad, they said she seemed fine. When I got home, I had a look, soaked her foot in epsom and managed to clear away the covering. Her foot was not swollen, red or bulbous, but she seemed to have an open wound there. Looking at all the bumblefoot info, I came to the conclusion that I didnt think it was BF, and there was no "plug type scab or kernel" that was visible. Then again, I couldnt find any decent pictures of what the wound should look like once the dirty earth scab was removed.

I cleaned her wound and applied some magnesium sulphate paste inside to try and draw out anything in case she had a splinter etc, but upon looking today, nothing has appeared on her bandage. Again, not red, overly hot or swollen, but she is still limping. I have felt all up and down her skinny little leg, but cannot find a sore spot, even her footpad does not bother her when I press on it. I am out of ideas now, and am not sure whats the next step. She is eating, drinking as normal, and still laying. I can attach some pictures later after I check her foot, if it may help with a possible diagnosis from a knowledgeable chook keeper on this site.

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Tasha

You said you removed a dirt scab from her foot....was it in fact a scab for bumble foot? You are doing the all the right things....a picture would definitely be helpful!

Pictures are always helpful. It could just be an injury, hard to say without seeing it. If it's not bumblefoot but an injury, and it gets bacteria in it, it could become bumblefoot.

Here are some pics taken 10mins ago... The original "dirt scab" was not round either.. do not know if that means anything. Thanks for your replies :)
20180824_194526 (2).jpg
20180824_194548 (3).jpg
20180824_194635 (2).jpg
20180824_194720.jpg

At this point that looks more like an injury to me. I would clean it up real well, put some plain neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment on it, wrap it with a bit of gauze and co flex bandaging to protect it and keep it clean, and see if it will heal up. Hopefully that's all it will need.

At this point that looks more like an injury to me. I would clean it up real well, put some plain neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment on it, wrap it with a bit of gauze and co flex bandaging to protect it and keep it clean, and see if it will heal up. Hopefully that's all it will need.
I cannot get anti-biotic cream here in the UK over the counter, and I cannot see my doctor prescribing me some for my chook hehe :) I have epsom cleaned it, put some poultry anti-bacterial powder on, then gauze, cotton pad (for comfort :p) and flexi bandage. My concern is that her limp is quite pronounced.. how long should it take for that to ease if its not bumblefoot?

Here are some pics taken 10mins ago... The original "dirt scab" was not round either.. do not know if that means anything. Thanks for your replies :)View attachment 1514370 View attachment 1514371 View attachment 1514372 View attachment 1514373
Well, definitely looks like an injury that would cause her to limp! I would be limping too! Hopefully it will not get infected. My Wyandotte just had a tiny injury on her toenail and limped for a day and even held her foot up! I would just try to keep it clean, maybe wash it a couple times a day and dab some peroxide, vetricyn spray and dry it off so it does not get infected. Good luck to you and your little chickee:)

Sorry, didn't see you are in UK. I think what you used is fine. Important thing is to keep it clean so that it doesn't get infected. If you see swelling, redness, or it does form a black scabby lesion, then it's likely turning to bumblefoot or infected and would need further treatment. I'd just change the bandages every couple of days and keep an eye on it, apply more powder if needed. I'm guessing in a day or two she'll be less sore and walking more normally, but it may take longer for it to heal completely.

So my girl is still limping the same after a week of treatment, and her wound is almost closed. I am wondering if she has damaged a muscle or a joint higher up?? I am still cleaning, bandaging etc, and there is no sign of any swelling on her pad at all. Should I now try to confine her to limit aggravating a possible strain or such from free ranging and jumping etc? The laying box and roost are 4ft+ from the ground (with lower platforms to get to each place). She is still as chirpy as normal, still eating her goodies etc. Many thanks again for any advice.

Back
Top Bottom