Well, I'm only in my second year of keeping chickens, but if Griffin is chasing him, I'd keep him in a pen within the pen (like a puppy crate) during the day. I think roosting together at night is probably fine. I don't claim to be sn expert by any means, but would err on the side of caution.

I often house new roosters for weeks or months next to the flock before releasing them into a free range flock, pecking order will often get worked out through the fence, otherwise i raise them in the flock. Do you routinely add new roosters to this group?

Some roosters will kill other rooster, especially if the loser can't escape.
Nope, this rooster is the first Iv'e added for a while. In my roo flock, there's six roosters in total.

I always watch my roosters very carefully when I add a new one. Other than the leg injury, he doesn't seem hurt at all.
Well, I'm only in my second year of keeping chickens, but if Griffin is chasing him, I'd keep him in a pen within the pen (like a puppy crate) during the day. I think roosting together at night is probably fine. I don't claim to be sn expert by any means, but would err on the side of caution.
Thanks for the advice :)

Back
Top Bottom