Limping cockerel

Videos can also be downloaded to Vimeo as well as YouTube. Do any of his joints appear to be swollen compared to your others? Does anything look displaced or dislocated? I would limit his activity for a few days (no running, jumping up and down off roosts, etc.) Aspirin can be given 81 mg twice a day orally or in some egg or food.

upload_2019-12-8_8-32-2.png

Can you get a picture of the foot?
Hello again, the cockerel was put down yesterday. He appeared to have no feeling in feet they were unable to grip he spent most of day on hocks and used his wings to help him walk. The other cockerels took wing flapping as dominant behaviour and would attack him.

Sorry for your loss, but thank you for the update. It would have been nice to have had him tested for possible Mareks disease if you could have kept the body cool, and sent or taken it the state poultry lab. The discription of him walking on his hocks and using the wings to balance can be common with Mareks disease.

:hugssorry to hear about your bird.
Hello again, the cockerel was put down yesterday. He appeared to have no feeling in feet they were unable to grip he spent most of day on hocks and used his wings to help him walk. The other cockerels took wing flapping as dominant behaviour and would attack him.

Sorry for your loss, but thank you for the update. It would have been nice to have had him tested for possible Mareks disease if you could have kept the body cool, and sent or taken it the state poultry lab. The discription of him walking on his hocks and using the wings to balance can be common with Mareks disease.
I don’t believe it’s Mareks as he was 1 of 11 chicks all large for age. He was big and looked healthy until he walked. Also had a chicken tested for Mareks 18months ago it came back negative. Same stock no newbies. I’m thinking maybe incubator temperature may have been low.

Back
Top Bottom