8inthecoop

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2021
Waxhaw, NC
1) What type of bird , age and weight? Cuckoo Marans, 18 weeks
2) What is the behavior, exactly. limping on right leg
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Thursday, 2 days ago
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma? little cut between two toes about the size of a ball point pen tip.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation? N/A
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all? Eating and drinking fine. Switched over to 50/50 chick layer feed Wednesday.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Stool looks good.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Went to vet thinking she might be egg bound and noticed the cut there. Took XRAY everything looked good there. Vet gave me 10 doses of Meloxicam in 10 syringes to give her morning and night. Have also been soaking foot twice daily in Epsom salt bath. I have her in a separate run attached to the free range area so she can still talk and interact but not risk being mounted or picked on. Vet said everything looked good out side that cut and kept saying it's just trauma to foot.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I'm treating her myself now but wanting to know a time frame for healing.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. N/A
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.

Any help on healing time and any additional thoughts would be great. She is still limping although I think, maybe it might be a little better. I also have some Veterycin Plus that will be delievered today that the vet said could help.

She's doing. Still limping badly sometimes better then others. I've kept her in the "hospital" most of the time outside of about an hour a day to get out with the flock eat herbs and marigolds etc. I think it will just take time.

Thanks for checking in.

Back
Top Bottom