Limping duck (injury or infection)

Jun 29, 2022
Delaware
Hello all,

Henry (4 month old KC) is limping pretty bad, I found them in my neighbours front yard (they think they can go anywhere they please when it rains)

I've checked her over for any obvious injury, felt the joints and her feet and and leg, her favored foot feels a little warmer than the other, but there's no external signs of injury besides the limp, I've got her separated in the house in a cat carrier at the moment, she's laying down and being calm, any suggestions on what I should do would be greatly appreciated.

She's a rather randy little teenager, and I've had to dissuade her from planking outside of her pool for her friends to climb on pretty often 🙄😆 the Cayugas I have are slightly heavier than her, could an impromptu duck orgy in the grass have done this? So sorry about the question, ducks have been a truly awkward experience in some cases.

Sure could injure if they decided to climb on the ground. Try some days of rest and some nice warm Epsom salt soaks best way to do the soaks is in a bucket so she doesn't drink the water which can cause the runs and dehydration. Epsom salt can help with inflammation.

I've put her to bed with the other ducks, I couldn't get boots in without her, she was just standing in the yard screaming for her, refusing to budge. The KCs and Cayugas share a large wire dog crate at night in the barn (we're clearing out an old horse stall in the back to make their duck house like we did for the chickens, but the roof needs some repair as it leaks in that spot so they're in the main area in the crate for now) I put water and food in there, she's drinking, still limping, but happy to be with boots. Is it ok to let her sleep with them? Should I keep her crated tomorrow? I'm just so worried, going to check her over again in the morning.

Sure could injure if they decided to climb on the ground. Try some days of rest and some nice warm Epsom salt soaks best way to do the soaks is in a bucket so she doesn't drink the water which can cause the runs and dehydration. Epsom salt can help with inflammation.
I will absolutely give her some epsom soaks. Thank you, I honestly don't know what I'd do without you @Miss Lydia, sending you all the wiggly duck hugs I can.

Henry isn't limping today! I checked her over before letting her out with everyone else, no warm foot or limb, she did her usual flying run to the pool and waddled excitedly all around boots before hopping in. I'm going to keep a close eye on her today to make sure there's no more limp, but otherwise I'm apparently just a fretful new duck mom. 😆

She is absolutely not thrilled about this, poor thing.

She's definitely drinking, I haven't seen her eat but the food has definitely moved around.

I'll give her another soak in a few hours, right around now (noonish in my part of the world) is duck nap time every day. They picked it lol. Calmest, quietest part of the day as the guineas take a nap too. We have an odd duck flock.

IMG_20220912_113704020.jpg

Back
Top Bottom