Limping Duck with "zit" type bump on foot - ***Surgery UPDATE***

ChickBond 007

Licensed to Cull
11 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Madison County, Iowa
This is one of my flying mallard hens, Bossy:
23790_dsc05287.jpg

She's limping but keeping up with the pack of her buddies. She seems more and more uncomfortable. So DS#2 brought her into the house just now, and we photographed the bottom of her pretty little webbed foot. There is a bump that is somewhat 'zit'-like about the size of large BB, perhaps 1/8" in diameter.
Here's what it looks like:
23790_dsc05285.jpg

Do you know what this is and can you tell me how to treat it? Much thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks like bumblefoot. It can be hard to get to go away. It is caused by a staph infection. Soak her foot in epsom salts and warm water everyday. After soaking, if you can, pull the scab off. It should pull out like a plug. Put neosporin (without pain killer) in the wound and keep it as clean and dry as possible. Very difficult with a duck. Keep her in a crate in your house if you can. This can take a long time to heal and sometimes may never completely go away. I had a hen with it and I just kept my eye on it and made sure it never got infected (limping, swelling, hot). Good luck

Wear gloves and wash up thoroughly after handling her wound. The Bumblefoot staph is said to be transmissible to people.

Thank you for your help. I was hoping you wouldn't say "bumblefoot". All of the internet photos of bumblefoot have a black spot, and this doesn't have black on it. However, it does appear the same shape and symptoms.

I think the black colour comes into it when the infection is at it's worst. I have got 2 chickens with bumblefoot, and both of them have scabs the same colour as your ducks scab.

From the looks of yours it looks fairy close to the surface, so hopefully just soaking and removing the scab will allow you to get all that muck out.

Please give your opinions/expertise on our situation:

Tonight we soaked this hen's foot in epsom salts water for 20 minutes (no easy feat to accomplish in itself). After 20 minutes of soaking, we attempted to remove the scab- but it would not seperate at all.
This seems like a hard, wart-like bump which her skin grown around.
We decided that it would be best to try to drain the bump and used a sterile new razor to open the bump in a small slit. We could not expell anything resembling infection, but the wound bled slightly. We used compression to stop bleeding at the site, covered in anti-biotic ointment and sterile dressing, then taped the gauze to the foot.
She did not enjoy any of the above.
She is in a cage with her favorite buddy tonight, quiet, alone, dry.

We **hope** the antibiotic will help soften the bump and draw out any infection (if there is any??).
The question is: Would we have been better served to cut the lump off entirely? We were afraid to do this because we worried we could not stop the bleeding at the site. It (the bump) is on the exterior of the foot pad, on the toe itself. Or are we better off to continue the ointment/gauze technique for several days. Your help is appreciated.

I would not attempt to remove the lump for fear of making too big of an incision and needing a stitch or two. The bottom of the foot is not a good area to stitch and heal. I would continue soaking and puting antibiotic cream only. If you could not get out any infection no need poking around. I would just watch for now.

Quote:
Thank you chickensioux. Taking your advice and leaving well enough alone. Amazingly, bandaged foot stayed bandaged last evening. We will re-dress the wound with more antibiotic ointment tonight and see what progress has been made.
Will the epsom salt water cause pain to the wound?

I will tell you that she was very upset not to be free ranging with her friends today in the rain on the farm.

My daughter discovered tonight our duck has bumblefoot? I soaked in Epsom Salt and just let the cuck go. There looks to be no infection, I know he should be isolated but it was a chore just to soak the foot.

2009NewChickenMom, how is your duck doing?

The bump remains but not black and not a sign of infection. We've decided to "wait and watch". She hobbles a bit, but she is the queen of this little flock and doesn't let it slow her down. She lays 1 egg per day and is noisy and Bossy.

Back
Top Bottom