Limping Duck

WynnFamilyFarms

Chirping
Mar 4, 2017
Mississippi
Our 3 month old Pekin began limping yesterday. When we inspected her foot, we noticed no real injuries but that one if her nails was curled under her foot. Is this the reason for her limping and if so, how do we fix it?
IMG_20170603_175358_01.jpg
IMG_20170603_175350_01.jpg

It looks like a pretty standard duck nail, I don't see that it's curling in any strange way. Some of the nails have a natural curve to them. I would leave it be but watch the limp bc there can be tiny cuts that we often cannot see with the naked eye until they become infected. If you have veteracyn I would spray the favored foot twice a day and keep an eye on things. Good luck!

Hello there, I actually just made an account to reply to this... pekins ducks are notorious for leg problems, because they're such big birds bred for meat.
I have a pekin that is actually currently at a vet because of leg issues, they're rehabilitating her and her leg is in a cast. By the time I took mine in, she could not even stand on her leg, we had to carry her to the pond and to her food.
My biggest recommendation is to IMMEDIATELY get her some source of Niacin, best way I have found to get it to her is BREWERS yeast. You can find it cheapest on amazon but I'm not sure that you'll want to wait two days to get her some.
All of your ducks will benefit from it.
I would say that if it gets worse, a vet or freezer camp is probably best, if she has what my pekin had, the vet said it puts them in a lot of pain.

Forgot to mention.. If possible I would keep her in water as often as she will stay in. Lifting the weight off of her foot will be good for pain as well as allowing it to heal.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom