Limping duck

Alf264

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2020
Hi all, two days ago I bought an 8 week old female duck so my other female 9 week old duck would have a friend. My first duck is very tame and of course the new one isn’t. It only took a day for them to become best friends and my first duck is ecstatic and so close up they are like magnets

Anyway this poor new duck we got from the poultry farm was in terrible condition. Her feathers so dirty and had never swam before or been able to wash her whole head in water. From when we got her the grass, water and food made her constantly wag her tail nonstop. I would seriously consider it a rescue duck.
To get to the point, my first duck constantly wants to play and nibbles at the new ducks feet and feathers, it doesn’t look like it’s hurting her she just gets a bit annoyed. This morning the were both happy as usual but I had just come out to feed them and noticed the new duck is limping, sometimes worse than other times. She just wants to sit down and when she sees a bird in the sky she tries to run and fumbles and then the limp looks worse.

It would have to be the biggest coincidence if this limp or lameness wasn’t from my old duck constantly pecking and nibbling at the new ducks feet, and btw it’s only the left foot. I do not want to chase this duck to try and pick it up as it has a bad foot and it would freak out so bad if I picked her up. What can I do to fix this?

Sorry to hear you're having problems with her.

Could you take a video of her trying to walk, upload it to a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here?

It IS crucial that you grab her and do a quick physical examination, does the leg feel warmer than the other, is there any swelling, do the joints bend normally, is there any sign of Bumblefoot or swelling on the bottom of her feet?

Sorry to hear you're having problems with her.

Could you take a video of her trying to walk, upload it to a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here?

It IS crucial that you grab her and do a quick physical examination, does the leg feel warmer than the other, is there any swelling, do the joints bend normally, is there any sign of Bumblefoot or swelling on the bottom of her feet?
Yes I’ll do my best to get photos and check her feet out ASAP, as soon as she gets up and walks I will film it and copy the link here.

Back
Top Bottom