Limping Duck!

When i soak a ducks foot, I get a plastic dish pan, then take it out side catch the duck and put both feet into the pan hold on to the duck over the top of their body. They may try to make a move to get out but if you have a firm hold they can't. Does look like something is in there whether the bumnble foot stuff or something she has stepped on I think your on the right track with the soaking, you maybe able to open it just a little and see what it is too. that link should give you alot of info. and Lola is adorable.

Last edited:
Sorry, I know this was 1 1/2 years ago, but I was wondering how Lala was getting on and what you did to help her?

I have just discovered this limping (but very cheeky) duck at the lake I have in front of my house. It doesn't use the leg at all and rather drags its whole body through the sand using the healthy leg/foot and tail feathers. I know the group of fowl residing here and they all looked fine until to days ago. I wonder if it is her leg or only the foot (bumble foot). Have only just read these advices and everything so I think I will take a look at it as soon as I can.

I know, it's called "Natural Selection" but I can't help it. I don't want her to be hurt or in pain. I would love to hear how you could Lala in the end and whether the foot baths helped. :)

Welcome!

Are you thinking of a rescue of the duck? Long enough to treat her or longer? Search for Haunted55 and iodine in the search box. Others have used Epsom salt soaks followed by triple antibiotic ointment without pain reliever. Es is a laxative, don't let her drink it.

I wanted to add that the first part of my reply was from a mobile phone, a little cranky to use much more than the text editor, so I am glad it was helpful.

Please keep us posted.

Is this a domestic breed? Or a wild one?

Last edited:
Hello, thank you so much for your advice. I am thinking of at least taking a look at her foot. If it is not an infection it could be a broken leg/thigh (actual leg looks straight). If it is an infection I'll follow your suggestions. I don't want to stress it out too much, they are cheeky but not not used to humans handling them. But if there's anything I can do I will help it get back on track so it can make its way south in a couple of months.

But thank you so much for responding to this, greatly appreciated.

Hello, thank you so much for your advice. I am thinking of at least taking a look at her foot. If it is not an infection it could be a broken leg/thigh (actual leg looks straight). If it is an infection I'll follow your suggestions. I don't want to stress it out too much, they are cheeky but not not used to humans handling them. But if there's anything I can do I will help it get back on track so it can make its way south in a couple of months.

But thank you so much for responding to this, greatly appreciated.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/807777/bumblefoot-new-ideas-on-treatment-with-pictures

Sorry for the late reply! Glad you've already received helpful advice! I've learned a lot about ducks (at least our ducks) since I made the original post.. The main thing being that they are decently resilient when it comes to most ailments.

Our duck Lola will develop a limp probably every other month. We do inspect it to see if its bumble foot and will soak her foot if necessary but we typically follow a few easy steps and she has healed herself every time! One if those steps is isolation and antibiotics if it seems like she hurts too much to walk. However with your situation, it probably won't be the best idea to try and catch it and freak it out.

Local feed stores sell electrolyte mixes, basically poultry Gatorade, that you mix with a gallon of water. You can try putting that out where they seem to be at.

Another thing we have seen in another one of our ducks is weak legs due to a niacin deficiency. Kale has a high niacin content so you could toss some out near where they seem to hang out.

I think since they are wild ducks, there might not be too much you can do with the physical duck. Very great of you to look out for them though! Good luck!

Sorry, I was away over the weekend. Just to answer a few questions: It is a wild bred Mallard duck. Not sure about its sex since it hasn't reached adulthood yet (or do males only put on their coulorful plumage during mating season?). I would definitely care for it in my house if it needs a sling etc. The morning I left I could see the injured one sleeping on the floating platform with its fellow ducks on the lake. So, it can swim (relatively) fine, and must be able to jump up onto the platform.

I have just fed them a fraction of a multi-vitamin tablet, crushed and dissolved with some bread pieces (they would not touch the peas!) I had a look at its foot then, too. The skin seems to be intact, and there isn't any swelling. Unfortunately I couldn't take any photos as I was by myself. So the issue probably arises from an inner injury. :-( I'm guessing the foot or ankle. The duck never spreads its digits, but rather holds them all close together (when swimming as well).

Thank you for easing my mind by reminding me how endurable these creatures are. I know, it probably could survive just like that. I am considering the expensive options of getting it checked tomorrow, though. If they then advise me to do nothing, I can live with it. Maybe the SPCA is a bit cheaper than a regular Vet. I can let you all know how I got on. Am still very grateful for all the advice given and maybe somebody knows a thing or two about sprained/broken poultry legs.

This is the poor bugger. We're going to the vet tomorrow morning :)

Back
Top Bottom