We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Limping Duck!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kstes347, Mar 29, 2012.

1. MsBlueberry

MsBlueberry Hatching

Aug 23, 2013
    Alright, it's been over a week since I had the duck. Felt so sorry for her, she wouldn't sit still, could barely stretch her wings and the whole place smelled like poop despite me cleaning it up every half an hour. Sorry about the details, but I found this and her desperate attempts to free herself very hard to watch and was worried about the possibility of having to keep her until the leg was fixed. ;-(
    The vet examined her thoroughly, noted the swelling, but said nothing was fractured. Her guess was a sprained ankle and that it would come right again. So I went home, put her in the head down position (copied it from a duck ringing blog), cleaned the underside of her plumage, fed her and released her onto the beach where I had picked her up. No noisy protests, I don't think I've traumatised her as much as I thought I had. Only two days later I found her limping, a massive improvement compared to hobbling on one foot. She's been like that since. I truly hope it will get better still, and am very happy to see her back in the flock as cheeky as always. Note to self: animals don't feel sorry for themselves.

So, to everybody who has been following this, and especially for the people above who took the time to offer their help: A big "thank you" to you! I'm left with the joy of watching them and the occasional feeding session. Here are some photos

1) The one in the middle. About to munch on some carrot-potato-corn mix
    [​IMG]

2) Dozing amongst fellow ducks on the platform
    [​IMG]

PS: I dream of having a few yards one day where I can keep some beautiful ducks.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Thanks so much for getting back with us, glad to hear the duck is doing better and hopefully will make a full recovery, beautiful pics thanks for sharing.

3. MsBlueberry

MsBlueberry Hatching

Aug 23, 2013
    Thanks Miss Lydia! Your Backyard must be truly amazing with all your beautiful ducks, geese and chicken running around in it.

4. Miss Lydia

It is Ms, I love my flock lots of pics in my profile if you care to take a look.
    [​IMG]

5. MsBlueberry

MsBlueberry Hatching

Aug 23, 2013
    [​IMG] That's why I said! I did have a good look at them earlier. I was wondering 'who is this Miss Lydia with the kind words and a whopping 9 years of duck keeping experience'?

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Your sweet to say.

8. HorseCrazy44

HorseCrazy44 Hatching

Jan 5, 2015
    Michigan
    So i know this conversation was back in 2013 but I need help and I don't want to take my duck to the vet just yet. My duck Lily has been limping lately. I tried to see what was wrong with her but I didn't find much wrong. Everything seem the same on both feet and legs. I gave her a warm bath today like you guys suggested. When I dried her off, I checked at her feet and the only thing I found wrong was this black really bendable nail that looked dead but the nail was on the foot that she was fine on. So I clipped it assuming it was dead. I clipped off all of the black and it started bleeding really settle. It had about one drop of blood so I put antibiotic ointment on it and bandaged that little back toe. I was wondering if you guys can help me. I took a picture of the foot so you can see it and tell me if its bumble or if there's something else. I've only had her since around May of last year.
    I tried to post a picture of her foot in this post. I don't know if it's in it or not. I tried twice so sorry if there's two pictures or if there's none

9. HorseCrazy44

HorseCrazy44 Hatching

Jan 5, 2015
    Michigan
    [​IMG]
    Here's the picture of the foot that was suppose to be in the last post.

10. Miss Lydia

Welcome to BYC,
    looks like Lily has a few cuts on her foot and on the pic looks like there maybe a little swelling on either side, do some warm water soaks in Epsom salt and then slather on some triple antibiotic salve keep doing the soaks until the cuts are healed. using the salve also. Bumble foot can come from cuts or splinters in the foot so I think if you work on this you can keep that from happening. FYI never put your duck into warm water then take outside in extreme cold weather. make sure she is dry before she goes outside. Let us know how she is doing, oh and did you check her leg from top to foot also any swelling or heat?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: