Limping duckling

Quackers08

Chirping
7 Years
May 15, 2012
Cornwall, England
One of my ducklings has been limping for a while and i think its getting worse. I'm worried as it seems there's no obvious signs of injury but any suggestions on what it could be and what i should be looking for? Thanks

Have you looked at the bottom of his or her feet to check for bumblefoot?

What are you feeding the ducklings?

How old are they and how long has the duckling been limping?

What kind of housing, bedding and pen do they have?

Any swelling of joints?

Have you looked at the bottom of his or her feet to check for bumblefoot? She doesn't have bumblefoot, it looks like normal and the same as the others.

What are you feeding the ducklings? They're on milled corn and layers pelletts for the hens

How old are they and how long has the duckling been limping? I noticed it over the weekend so about a week if not more

What kind of housing, bedding and pen do they have? They have a cat box that they hardly go in with straw bedding in their run

Any swelling of joints? Not that i've noticed
Just hate the idea of her in pain :(

If all you are feeding is milled corn, you likely have a duckling with nutrient deficiencies. I prefer to have corn as an occasional extra calorie boost, but it is missing quite a few important nutrients.

Their legs grow at an amazing pace at this age, so that may be why nutrient deficiencies, such as thiamine and niacin, show up in the legs. Just a guess.

But I have seen a number of leg problems resolve when vitamins (certainly niacin at a minimum) are added to the diet.

Can you get some Flock Raiser or Turkey/Waterfowl starter crumbles?

In any case, I would get plain niacin capsules and put 100 to 150 mg per gallon of water for everybody right away. Second choice would be a sprinkling (three tablespoons give or take per day) of brewer's yeast on their food.

She isnt a young duckling, she's a good 11 weeks old i think as i brought her and didnt know her age so roughly guessing. Could she just have banged it or something? If its not better by next week i'll try the niacin

It is up to you, of course.

My thinking is that niacin is relatively inexpensive, and vitamins are always a good idea. In a week, if it is nutrient deficiency and not a pulled muscle, it could very well be worse and she is another week into the problem.

When my ducks have had sprains or pulled muscles, the issue usually resolves in a matter of a few days.

Regardless of the cause, getting weight off the leg will probably help, and that is easily done with water deep enough to float in. Does she have a pool or other swimming water deep enough to float in?

Well i put her in for a swim earlier today and after she settled she seemed to get pretty into it and worked her leg. i'll try find the vitamins. This is probably a stupid question, but do magpie calls develop slower than others?? She just seems so behind :/

Not a stupid question. I cannot say for sure, but I know one of ours, Elfie, a runner, was at least two weeks behind everyone in development. By age four months, though, she was pretty well caught up and is now just amazing! Only difference is that she won't eat from the hand.

So, I think some ducklings are just slow to develop. I gave her extra TLC and vitamins and such, and she is fine.

Glad yours enjoyed her swim today! Water is good therapy.

I think mine is just an odd one thats slow to develop. I'll try be with her as much as i can and let her swim whenever. I was kinda hoping it was just something to do with the breed and she hasnt got any serious developmental issues. Shes so sweet and i've just names her Millie so shes a keeper :)

I think mine is just an odd one thats slow to develop. I'll try be with her as much as i can and let her swim whenever. I was kinda hoping it was just something to do with the breed and she hasnt got any serious developmental issues. Shes so sweet and i've just names her Millie so shes a keeper :)
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom