Limping guinea keet

Jule

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2017
Hi there! I posted this thread somewhere on the site but not sure where it ended up. So, I will try this category. I have a 3 week old guinea keet that is limping badly. We babysat an incubator full of eggs while a family was on vacation. This keet seemed to have trouble hatching so I helped it out of its shell. It had a splayed leg and toes turned in on that same leg. I hobbled it for a day and also put on a band aid on its foot to straighten toes. After taking off hobble and band aid, it seemed to have its leg under it but toes started turning in again. I put the band aid on the foot again and left it on for 3 days. After removing it, the toes have turned in severely and it is walking on the side of the foot and rests on the hock. It doesn't seem to want to put much weight on the foot. The joint that's on the upper part of the leg where it meets the feathers is somewhat swollen and leg appears to turn out. I have also given it vitamins in its water, vitamin B, and egg with hopes that it well help. I found out that the family received the eggs and an incubator from someone else and they didn't put them in the incubator for 5 days. I feel the change in humidity and temperature has probably caused this poor keets leg problems. The other chicks weren't able to hatch as the egg shells were very hard and the membrane felt rubbery. I thought maybe I had caused this keets problems due to helping it out of the shell so didn't help the others. Could this be a slipped tendon? Is there anything I can do for this baby or is it too late? Sorry this is so lengthy but wanted to let you know all of the details.

Generally if they don't respond to vitamins and they continue to get worse it's best to end their suffering. Slipped tendons is from a vitamin deficiency or imbalance. If it hatched with problems it's probably from incorrect incubation.

I see your original post is in the guinea forum.

Generally if they don't respond to vitamins and they continue to get worse it's best to end their suffering. Slipped tendons is from a vitamin deficiency or imbalance. If it hatched with problems it's probably from incorrect incubation.

I see your original post is in the guinea forum.
Thank you for replying. I figured that would probably be the answer I didn't want to hear. Quite attached to her now as she thinks I am her mom.

You can wait and see how it goes, it may still be able to get around. Seems it's always the good ones and not the troublemakers.

You can wait and see how it goes, it may still be able to get around. Seems it's always the good ones and not the troublemakers.
It does limp around but think it has a tendon that's displaced so wondering if it's too late to try and put it in place. It does straighten the leg when I roll the tendon back over the joint. Will have to do some more research. Thanks for replying!

I had a rooster last year who fell behind a board and messed his leg up, he would walk on the hock. We let him go for a few months and he improved on his own. So it's certainly something that may be able to be corrected, especially if it's from an injury.

Back
Top Bottom