Limping hen! 4 days now, unknown why, what to do

sparklez

In the Brooder
May 25, 2023
Friday we noticed our 5 month old Buff Brahma was limping on her right foot. Its been muddy here si we washed and soaked her and looked at her feet. We saw a possible splinter but after we pulled it looked more like a tiny dead feather folical? But we found a broken feather on her foot with dried blood. No other signs of injury. I was able to touch her whole leg/foot and flex her leg without a sign of discomfort. She is walking with a limp and sometimes stands on 2 feet sometimes only on one. Please help, I need ideas and advice on what could be going on and how to help her. I have 9 other chickens who are all fine. Their coops is raised about 28-30 inches with a ramp and roosts are in a ladder formation about 24 & 30 inches above pine shavings.
20230821_150047.jpg
20230821_145858.jpg
20230821_073015.jpg
20230821_150145.jpg

The foot pads look like mild foot pad dermatitis, a combo of damp bedding, mud, and droppings that can burn the feet. That can lead to bumblefoot. I would make sure to keep the bedding dry, and add new pine shavings often. A covered run is needed if it rains a lot and is muddy. The soaks can really be helpful. She might have sprained her foot or legs, but time will tell. Sprains may heal in a couple of weeks with resting the leg, and no jumping on and off roosts. Sometimes time a dog crate or pen with food and water may be best to force rest.

The foot pads look like mild foot pad dermatitis, a combo of damp bedding, mud, and droppings that can burn the feet. That can lead to bumblefoot. I would make sure to keep the bedding dry, and add new pine shavings often. A covered run is needed if it rains a lot and is muddy. The soaks can really be helpful. She might have sprained her foot or legs, but time will tell. Sprains may heal in a couple of weeks with resting the leg, and no jumping on and off roosts. Sometimes time a dog crate or pen with food and water may be best to force rest.
What are the soaks? I currently do not have a covered run and that is something we are talking about and figuring out.
I am due to clean/turn the coop shavings and the run has been pretty wet the last week or so. I will make a better cleaning schedule.
I am trying to track down a dog crate to restrict her movement. Is there anything else i can do or should look for? If it is dermatitis will this treat itself with better conditions or is there something i should be doing (i am having a hard time finding treatment info online).

Soaks means soak the foot in some warm water for a while.

Can you take a video of her limping and upload it to YouTube?
Did you recently add any birds to your flock? Do you know if this particular bird was vaccinated for Marek's disease?

Back
Top Bottom