limping hen resulted in death...what happened?

amywaterman

Hatching
11 Years
Feb 24, 2008
I am a new chicken owner. I have (had) four 7 month old hens, 2 Rhode Island, 2 Plymouth Rock. We got them as chicks and they just started laying eggs. All seemed fine, all are fat, healthy looking, beautiful, shiny feathers, great appetite, etc. A few weeks ago I noticed one of the reds had a limp. Upon inspecting her foot it had no signs of injury, abrasion, etc. Three days ago she was found dead in her house. Now, three days later, one of my Plymouths is limping. I am concerned that she may end up the same way the red did. Has anyone heard of such a thing? I am baffled and worried. Thank you.

Check to bottom of the foot and make sure it is not bumble foot which would be a small dark mark in the center of the bottom of the foot.

Good Luck
Henry

Limping, any paralysis? Sorry I don't know what to say. Other than chickhood, a common time for birds to just die is around egg laying them when they are working their new systems, and some of the birds come with broken ones.

Maybe someone has a better idea. Welcome and good luck.

Was she thin? Diarrhea? How was her appetite? Egg production? Was she vaccinated for Marek's disease?
Sorry about your loss.

Last edited:
Look up lymphoid leukosis. I think I read someone else had a similar occurence and lost several in her flock with the same symptoms..just limping and eventually died.

Jody

It never hurts to give them some vitamins. Liquid baby vitamins can be given by dropful directly in beak until you order AviaCharge or buy liquid bird vitamins from pet shop. Whether disease or vitamin deficiency/malabsorbtion - vitamins can only help them fight it and help them get stronger. I truly believe that commercial chicken feed, no matter how much they tell us contains ALL they need, does NOT. If chickens can't truly freerange/forage, I believe they need vitamins or additional vitamin-rich foods added to their diet.

Last edited:
please say what all you feed
describe droppings..color and consistency.

what bedding do you use?
how high are the roosts?
please describe roosts.

could be they are injuring themselves from jumping..
could be something startling them causing them to jump.

or could be a nutrition problem..possible lack of calcium.
try offering them some plain yogurt mixed with feed and chopped cooked egg..

vitamins as suggested by Ruth.

please observe them for any symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom