Limping hen several days now not walking...

I had a hen that was very similar to what yours is going through. She was an EE. Started with a limp. Thought, "oh no, Mareks" She got over it. Then a few weeks later was limping again. Then found her unable to walk, laying on her side. Her toes curled. She never was able to walk again. Well, she walked on her haunches. Had her in her own coop in our huge heated garage. Had a huge bin for her to take a dust bath in. Her legs moved great. I would put her in it every day and she would have such fun bathing. During the warmer days, she had a pen outside under the shade of a tree. The other hens would lay around it, so she would have the company of her friends. When we moved here, she was in the basement. Still went outside. She lived happily for a few years like that. A vet from MSU came to one of our Chickenstock picnic. He said it wasn't Marek's. But I do forget what he did say it was. Curled toe something. Think you can google it. It's up to you what you how you want to handle her outcome. Mia was quite happy and healthy. She was a pet, so I chose to treat he so.
Good luck with your girl.
Thanks for sharing your story! All my girls are pets in my eyes. This is my first experience with chickens...I’m one of those covid converts that was forced to work from home. I didn’t want the commitment of a dog in case I got back on the road as i travel for my job, but realized I could do chickens if i had the proper set up.
Well, I have a new coop that will accommodate chicken math that the ladies will be moving into this week and will maintain the little coop in the back yard just in case.

I’ve grown to love these birds and am trying to learn as much as I can to some day be a resource to others and can’t thank everyone enough for the information.

Curled toe paralysis is a symptom of riboflavin deficiency, but also can be a symptom of Mareks disease. If riboflavin (vitamin B2) is used early, and their is no improvement, then I would suspect Mareks or a leg injury involving the sciatic nerve.

Back
Top Bottom