Limping Hen

fatimahb89

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2022
I hope someone can help us. I have a 2 year old silver laced wyandotte who I spotted limping on her left foot. I checked her for injuries and found a scab like thing on her right foot. Please advise on how to treat her. I soaked her feet 10 min in Epsom salts, sprayed with antibacterial spray, applied PRID to gauze,
Lacy's right foot 9-29-22.jpg
and wrapped her foot thinking that it might be the beginnings of bumble foot. (I don't have any experience with bumble foot, but have read that there is a black or dark scab, which she doesn't seem to have.)

You're doing exactly what I would do. I think you're definitely on top of it.

A couple days of Prid, and any bacteria should be taken care of. Then I would use a triple antibiotic ointment for another couple days with wrapping, and then she should be good to go without the bandage from then.

A couple days of Prid, and any bacteria should be taken care of. Then I would use a triple antibiotic ointment for another couple days with wrapping, and then she should be good to go without the bandage from then.
Thank you for your quick reply. What does it look like to you? Do you think that I will need to extract the infection like with bumble foot? I want to make sure I have all the things I need in advance. I'm so happy I bought the PRID a few months ago.

As I said, you're doing it right. The bumblefoot isn't a full blown staph infection yet. You got it in time. Just continue to treat it as you've been doing.

I’m on day five of cleaning with antibacterial spray applying Prid, And wrapping. She still limping even after I took off all the wrap. The foot looks about the same. Should I start with triple antibiotic ointment now for a couple days? Doesn’t look like anything I can remove.

Attachments

• B819100A-F739-443E-984D-7CCF4B74CE66.jpeg
    B819100A-F739-443E-984D-7CCF4B74CE66.jpeg
    257.4 KB · Views: 8
It looks like a callous that is inflamed on the inside. My chicken get that, and it's tough to remove. What I would try is a combination of aloe, vitamin E and turmeric powder combined to soften as well as heal. I'd go ahead and wrap it for a few days then see how it looks.

I honestly have no idea. The idea is to soften the callous and heal the split tissue. It may or may not work. Feet issues are strictly individual. You need to be the judge of whether it's working and how long to keep trying it.

Back
Top Bottom