Limping hen

Bantysloff

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2022
Hello, I have a hen who is limping who won't put any weight on her leg. It's been a couple weeks now and there has been no improvement. I've separated her so she can rest and I've given her warm Epsom salt baths to help any swelling as I thought it could be arthritis. I have felt and moved her leg around nothing seems to cause her any pain so i have yet to splint it in any way as I'm not sure which part of her leg is the issue to know how to go about it. So I'm at a loss of what to do or where to go from here. I hate to have to put her down as she seems perfectly heathly otherwise. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi there, what's here age and diet? Is she vaccinated? Have you tried vitamin therapy?
Hello, she is about probably around 7 years old and her diet consist of layer feed, sun flower seeds, oats, and very little cracked corn in the mix. They free range as well. I do not believe she is vaccinated. I'm not sure what vitamin therapy is.

Hello, she is about probably around 7 years old and her diet consist of layer feed, sun flower seeds, oats, and very little cracked corn in the mix. They free range as well. I do not believe she is vaccinated. I'm not sure what vitamin therapy is.
It could be age, she's starting to get into her sunset years.
I'd cut back on the treats a bit.
Vitamin therapy is high doses of vitamins to correct a deficiency, low Bs and e can cause neurological issues. Give one 400i.u vitamin E capsule and about a third of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks, any brand from the grocery store

Hello, I have a hen who is limping who won't put any weight on her leg. It's been a couple weeks now and there has been no improvement. I've separated her so she can rest and I've given her warm Epsom salt baths to help any swelling as I thought it could be arthritis. I have felt and moved her leg around nothing seems to cause her any pain so i have yet to splint it in any way as I'm not sure which part of her leg is the issue to know how to go about it. So I'm at a loss of what to do or where to go from here. I hate to have to put her down as she seems perfectly heathly otherwise. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Can you get a video of her?

Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

If not, photos of her standing by herself and a few of her feet/legs (bottom of feet too).

Sometimes older hens can have arthritis. Does the epsom salts seem to make a difference at all?
Sometimes, they can sprain a foot, just like we do. If she's able to move about to get to food/water, is eating/drinking, limiting her own activity and not getting picked on by her flock, then I'd leave her with her friends and see how she does.

I've dealt with these types of issues, please read post #4 in this link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/limping-chicken.1243650/

Can you get a video of her?

Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

If not, photos of her standing by herself and a few of her feet/legs (bottom of feet too).

Sometimes older hens can have arthritis. Does the epsom salts seem to make a difference at all?
Sometimes, they can sprain a foot, just like we do. If she's able to move about to get to food/water, is eating/drinking, limiting her own activity and not getting picked on by her flock, then I'd leave her with her friends and see how she does.
The epsom salts baths did not seem to help at all but she did certainly seem to enjoy it lol. She does move around but I have a rooster so I separated her to prevent him from hurting her more. She does eat and drink just fine as long as her dish is where she can reach it and not fall over bending completely down to reach

Back
Top Bottom