Limping Rooster cant find issue

MarkJr

Free Ranging
Jun 15, 2020
My Sussex cockerel/rooster (he's either 11 months old or just over a year old) is limping like crazy. Started as a slight limping, then got worse over 3 days. Then 3 days of staying the same. I have checked everything I know of. No sores on feet, no apparent sore spots on legs/joints. He's healthy, feels good enough to catch 8 pullets and doesn't seem to keep him from free ranging as far as normal.

Roosts are 44" off the coop floor and I am running 3-4" of pine shavings on said floor.

Only thing I can think of is him and my broody still haven't mated. He's dominated her and mounted her, but not willingly. No fertile eggs from her yet. They get into it pretty harshly.

Could them figuring out who's boss cause an injury? How long until I need to start worrying about him limping? Figured a week with no improvement is long enough.

Thanks for any help.

Mark

Lameness is one of the most difficult things to diagnose in chickens. It could be something as simple as a broken toe nail or something far more sinister such as an avian virus that causes cancer tumors on joints.

I have an eight-year old Welsummer hen at present with these exact symptoms. She has been favoring her right foot for weeks, and I can see nothing out of order. So I decided to treat her with two 81 grain chewable aspirin per day since it helps reduce pain and also inflammation. So far, she seems to be moderately improving. You might try that.

Thanks. I may give it another week and try it.

He's not a fan of being within 5-6' of me, and definitely hates me picking him up. I'll have to weigh whether I want to push him and make him aggressive or wait and see.

It takes a lot more than picking up a rooster to treat him to make him aggressive. Just be slow and deliberate and firm. It won't do him any harm to learn that he can be handled without suffering dismemberment.

It takes a lot more than picking up a rooster to treat him to make him aggressive. Just be slow and deliberate and firm. It won't do him any harm to learn that he can be handled without suffering dismemberment.
He avoids me at all costs. Giving aspirin after dark just as effective?

He avoids me at all costs. Giving aspirin after dark just as effective?
try grabbing him while he is on the roost I just put my arm around the top of my cockerel so he is under my armpit and wrap my arm and hand around him, for me it helps to let him stick his feet on my hip so he stop kicking, and if you need to grab him during the day pin him down on the back first then put your hands tightly around his wings and pick him up and put him under your arm at your side.

Back
Top Bottom