Limping, swollen footed rooster

jenniferwhite

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 11, 2013
Hoping someone can help. My Black Australorp Rooster is limping badly, as in won't put any weight on it at all. When I checked his leg/foot about a week ago there was no swelling, no peeling, a possible scratch but I wasn't positive - and if it was a scratch there was no dried blood. Today, however, there is considerable swelling where the base of the toes are, enough that I can definitely see its bigger than the other foot. It's not hotter than the other foot, and no pinker than the other. No peeling. I'm stumped. He's 10 months old and my only Roo. suggestions??? Oh and he's not been into anything that I'm aware of. They roam my yard all day and coop at night. No new food, etc.

If possible, post a photo so we can see what you're talking about. Bumblefoot, a broken toe or foot, or some other injury could all be possibilities.

OK, I will take pictures in the morning. I did a search for bumblefoot and honestly, that sounded like it could be the problem, But then I looked again and absolutely no spots on the bottom of his foot, and no hard bump either. Maybe the beginnings of bumblefoot? It just concerns me that he will bear absolutely NO WEIGHT on it at all, He looks miserable. I could not find this in the posts I read, but can they get bumblefoot at any time, no matter what age? Thanks everyone for viewing and helping me figure this out! Be back tomorrow!

My New Hampshire Red is doing the same exact thing. It had gradually gotten worse until he won't put any weight on it at all. I'm going to check him for the bumble foot but I am also going to separate him and give him antibiotics in his water. My vet said it could be a joint problem or even an old injury. My rooster is older so that may be what is wrong with mine. His other behaviors are sitting a lot, even to eat. He didn't even crow this morning :-(

My New Hampshire Red is doing the same exact thing. It had gradually gotten worse until he won't put any weight on it at all. I'm going to check him for the bumble foot but I am also going to separate him and give him antibiotics in his water. My vet said it could be a joint problem or even an old injury. My rooster is older so that may be what is wrong with mine. His other behaviors are sitting a lot, even to eat. He didn't even crow this morning :-(
Welcome to BYC. Roosters don't do well with leg injuries, compared with hens. Check for swelling of the joints, any bruising of the leg, and swelling of the foot pad with a black dot for bumble foot. Look at his breast for a raw spot or blister. Mycoplasma synoviae, an infection of the respiratory system that infects the bones, or viral arthritis (tenosynovitis) are 2 other problems that can cause limping, walking on hocks, or lying around. Here is some reading for you:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/99/mycoplasma-synoviae-infection-ms-infectious-synovitis
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/164/viral-arthritis
Edited for spelling.

Last edited:
Thank for your quick reply! I have purchased a water soluble antibiotic that is specifically for the respiratory diseases. I am gonna separate him and give him the antibiotic. I'll do what I can to get him well, if he can be helped.

Thank for your quick reply! I have purchased a water soluble antibiotic that is specifically for the respiratory diseases. I am gonna separate him and give him the antibiotic. I'll do what I can to get him well, if he can be helped.
Respiratory antibiotics like Tetracycline, Tylan, and Erythromycin may help if it is mycoplasma (MS) but if you find bumblefoot, a penicillin or amoxicillin might work better. You might want to test him for MS since it is a contagious disease that can make carriers of your flock, and can be transmitted through hatching eggs.

Back
Top Bottom