Lining a brooder box with a tarp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Quatelmon, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Quatelmon

Quatelmon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2013
    Suffolk County, NY
    We made a plywood brooder box. I want to line it with a tarp so that the tarp covers the bottom, comes up and over the sides walls of the brooder. I will clip the tarp along the top of the box so that it stays put, and then put the pine shavings down. I want to do this so that I can just lift up the whole tarp, bring it to the compost, and clean it off really well. Does this sound like a bad idea? Thanks in advance!!!

2. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    It sounds like a really good idea! [​IMG]

3. mwdudley

mwdudley Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    Saint Joseph Missouri
    I'm going to say thank you for that idea I'm going to try it too . I've just started this project with the brooder .

4. Quatelmon

Quatelmon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2013
    Suffolk County, NY
    I'm glad people think it's a good idea! I wasn't going to put a bottom on the brooder, and just put a tarp underneath it, but then I got to thinking what if I could just take the whole tarp outside instead of scooping out litter once a week? I just wanted to see if there was a reason no one else has done this (I can't really find any pictures of it done online) I'll post pictures tomorrow when it's all set up!

5. SarahBee

SarahBee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2012
    I plan on doing this exact same thing but using a vinyl billboard ad instead of a tarp. I work for a billboard company so I have tons of them. Should look interesting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by