Link to telling sex of Rhode Island Red Rooster and Hens

An original study by Byerly and Quinn (1936) said that the stripe/spot head method for RIR was an average of 82% acccuracy. I at one time only raised RIR and pulled from straight run batches. Only using this method. I ended with all pullets. I think the theory should be that males can NOT have the stripe/spot on their head. Where as pullets may or may not have the marks. So any RIR chick with marking should be pullet, although non marked chicks may also be pullets, just not bearing the simple tell-tale markings.

An original study by Byerly and Quinn (1936) said that the stripe/spot head method for RIR was an average of 82% acccuracy. I at one time only raised RIR and pulled from straight run batches. Only using this method. I ended with all pullets. I think the theory should be that males can NOT have the stripe/spot on their head. Where as pullets may or may not have the marks. So any RIR chick with marking should be pullet, although non marked chicks may also be pullets, just not bearing the simple tell-tale markings.
Sounds like an interesting method. It is well worth it to study up on any breed you're interested in picking up from a feed store, especially if the chicks are straight run. With a little knowledge, I think the average BYC person, can be fairly accurate or at least increase the odds when choosing pullets.

My Rhode Island Red had the stripe down the back when it was born and through its infancy. But now at 2 months everyone is saying it is Definately a ROOSTER

RIR are easy to sex! hens have a black line or there heads and rooster don't
this is a hen

this is a rooster
Do the stripes remain? I got mine at about 2-3 weeks old. Or can you only use that indicator up to a certain age?

Last edited:
These are my little ladies (I hope!) This picture was taken a few days to a week after I got them (Easter weekend). When I got them, there were chicks of varying ages, and the clerk said they were "a couple" weeks old. The two lighter ones are RIRs, and I figured the one on the left (in this first picture) was the oldest, as it

was the biggest.

Now we're concerned that it may be a cockerel- mostly because it's so much bigger than the others, its comb is quite red, and it's getting wattles as well. But I keep hoping it's just the normal development of a hen, and (s)he's just further along in the process than the other one. Now that I read this thread though, I have more hope. As I Iook back at these older photos, It looks like Carl (the big one. My son named it-big Walking Dead Fan) may have the hen stripe on its head. It's hard to see in the photo above, but in this one:

Carl is in the center, and it looks like he has the stripe. Is it wishful thinking, or do any of you see it too? I don't want to have to give Carl away. We live in city limits and roosters aren't allowed.
sad.png

I am thinking if you your red is developing a comb this early it could be a rooster. Mine had the "hen stripe" but it is a rooster. At 9 weeks old now he behaves like a rooster and is getting significantly bigger than the other chickens and his giant legs are a dead giveaway. He started to develop a cock's comb at about 4 weeks. it is still rather small, but it is growing.

I am thinking if you your red is developing a comb this early it could be a rooster. Mine had the "hen stripe" but it is a rooster. At 9 weeks old now he behaves like a rooster and is getting significantly bigger than the other chickens and his giant legs are a dead giveaway. He started to develop a cock's comb at about 4 weeks. it is still rather small, but it is growing.

Oh darn! That sounds right on course for what Carl's doing. He (?)'s about 6 weeks old,now, and is a bit aggressive, herding the other chickens around, big long legs. Do you have RIR pullets of the same age, for comparison?

To Five Acre Rooster and Lazy Gardner: This is definitely not meant to be disrespectful or argumentative. But I think the whole idea of sexing RIR'S by color markings is questionable at best...At one time RIR'S were the number one brown egg layer in the country. Hatcheries sold millions upon millions every year. Harco Orchard, Babcock, JJ Warren, Colonial, Parmenter, and the list of top production breeders goes on and on. MYPOINT IN REGARDS TO COLOR SEXING AND THIS COMMENT: If color sexing had been accurate then these hatcheries would have used it instead of bearing the cost of hiring professional vent sexors. Again, I do not claim to be a know it all. Just wondering about this. Has there been any newer studies since the 1936 one? Were there any dissenting opinions or findings relating to the 1936 study? Actually 82% accuracy is really good for most purposes. Maybe the hatcheries needed something closer to 95. Some guarantee sex accuracy as low as 80%. Thanks for bringing up the topic. An interesting topic regardless of our views. Good Luck and God Speed......

Back
Top Bottom