Lino in Brooder

chicksak

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 25, 2013
Wasilla, AK
My husband just built me a bigger brooder for our girls and put lino on the bottom for easy cleaning. They have been moved and seem to be loving the extra room however seem to be sliding all over the place. I have read where people put lino in the coop so we didn't think much about how slippery it would be. I don't want to see them hurt, Is this something that I need to be concerned about or will they get used to it?

Is it just straight linoleum on the brooder floor or are there shavings or paper in with it?

When I cleaned the brooder I put the chicks in a plastic storage box with some pine chips but they still slipped a round. I swore I would not do that again. It really stressed them out. Now I just clean the brooder with them in it and they seem to be more relaxed. still exited but not bad.

Every chick is different.
smile.png

Wow I just put linoleum in the coop and am sort of regretting it. I did it because I have a nipple watering system in the coop and the drips from when they drink were soaking thru the shavings to the floor and I didn't want the floor to rot out. I have pine shavings over the linoleum and yes it is slippery.
I watched one slip when she hopped in thru the chicken door. I can only imagine what happens when they hop down from a roost. So now I am trying to think of ways to rough up the linoleum a little so the shavings stay in place better.

I was thinking of taking fine sandpaper and roughing it up. My girls don't seem very happy with their new digs today so have to rethink also. I will let you know if the sandpaper works.

You think maybe sand might help a little? Thats just a guess. I'm a first timer myself but it seems sand might make things a little less slippery.

I thought of sand too but not sure. The lino is so slick that nothing seems to want to stick to it making everything slide around. The girls will be looking around and you can watch the shaving slide with their feet out from under them. Its pretty funny to watch but doesnt make for happy chicks!

I have a lino floor in my brooder. I put about a 3 inch thick pine shaving layer down each time I clean and it keeps them from sliding. About the time I have to replace the shavings is about the time they just start to slide around. I replace the shavings and they're good to go for a few more days.

The chicks are just over 3 weeks old now. Maybe in another week or so I may have to look into adding some sand to the mix.

-darrell

Back
Top Bottom