Lippers is suddenly laying outside the coop

NeseO

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 15, 2014
North California
Hi,
My chicken was happily laying eggs in the coop and all of the sudden she is going through the motions of laying in her nesting box, sitting there for hours, coming out and laying it right outside the coop. What could be wrong?
Thanks!

There are several other ladies that use the box next to her and there are plastic (motivation) eggs in the box she likes to use.

It doesn't look like she is being bullied, and she sits there all morning.

This is weird. I wonder if she is straining and so getting up bc she is uncomfortable and frustrated. When I brought in my BO after a fox attack, during the 3 weeks she was in the house, I noticed she actually strains and kinda grunts when she lays. Since she's gone back out, I've noticed she still does it. She worries me a little but her eggs are always perfect and she doesn't give up and leave the nest early (yet).
hmm.png

She doesn't seem to be straining. She got her egg in the nest today, hopefully it was just a phase. My next question would be, is it normal for some chickens to take their time laying. It seems I have some get in and get out chickens, then I have my all morning hang in the nest chickens.

She doesn't seem to be straining. She got her egg in the nest today, hopefully it was just a phase. My next question would be, is it normal for some chickens to take their time laying. It seems I have some get in and get out chickens, then I have my all morning hang in the nest chickens.

I'm glad she made the nest today! Yes, some take along time, constantly turning, throwing litter on their backs and wriggling in. Other hens wait on line for the favored box or just get in there in the nick of time and get out without even singing the egg song! Do you know that when they don't sing and I am there, I'll start it and then they'll all start to sing it. How weird, yet true! I know, I'm a nut job! Who cares!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom