Liquid Food (emergency)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mavrik, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Mavrik

Mavrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    I need to get some nutrients into a chicken real fast, I need something liquid so it passes past an impacted crop. (waiting for help in the emergency section for the impacted crop)

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Some hard boiled egg mixed with some plain yogurt, poultry electrolytes or water in a blender. It'll be thick, but it will be liquid.

Good luck.

3. Mavrik

Jun 15, 2011
    Sounds too thick, I know water is getting though, I'm thinking more in the line of a sugar water solution of some sort, I don't have a clue on the ratio/mixture. It's been days since she had eaten, she it lethargic.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Electrolyte Solution
    1 Qt Water
    ½ tsp baking soda
    1/4 cup Karo Syrup or Black strap molasses
    ½ tsp salt

5. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Try mixing a bit of feed with water, stir it up, and use an eyedropper to suction up the top layer of water. It might have small bits of feed in it, should have some nutrients.

6. Mavrik

Jun 15, 2011
    Just so you know, the yogurt made my bird throw up all day. Stop recommending yogurt!

From another thread...
    Quote:

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    First of all , I would not recommend more "soft " food for an impacted crop. Keep in mind that the crop is "impacted" because it is full of food/feed that has not passed through it.

It might help us to research the function of the crop and I have not done this but my understanding is that it is where chickens "grind" up what they eat using muscles and "grit".

There are two types of grit. Soluble and insoluble. Each helps with "grinding" grasses, grains and other things chickens eat. However "insoluble" can stay in the crop for a longer period of time and is coarser. Usually made of stone/granite.

I would recommend gentle message to try to help the unground food pass through it. No feed at all since it would only lead to more of a "backup".

So what to do? Using an eyedropper I would give liquid vitamins, but just an eye dropper full. Over doing vitamins can damage a chickens kidneys. (PP magazine)

If you walk her about a bit that might move the muscles and get things moving. Not a great deal but a little.

Remember grit is as important as any thing else in a chickens diet. Both types should be offered to laying hens and insoluble to chicks and roosters. EVEN IF THEY RANGE. I like to keep a tub or large dish full of insoluble grit availble at all times.

These are not wild chickens they are domesticated and may or may not find it on their own. Some breeds are better foragers than others.

Hope things improve.

Rancher

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by