List of Buckeye Chicken breeders

Hi everyone. My name is John and new to the chicken world, living in Marysville Ohio.

I have a family of 9 but only 7 of us at home (2 are away at school). We are new to the Ohio area and a chicken coop came with the house. As you can guess we go through alot of eggs 3 / 4 doeson a week. Having the room and a coop indoor started to research chickens and really like Buckeye.
The coop is 9x9 with 10 nesting boxes which leads out to an inclosed yard that is 20x20'. I would like to get 24 hens (they also have 2 ackers to roam during the day) question is do Ihave the correct amount of space? Also is it better to purchase hens or chick's... I have power in the coop so I can keep them warm but I don't want to wait 5 months for eggs
Thanks

Hi John,
welcome-byc.gif

The first thing you should know is, no matter what breed of chicken you get, it is always going to be cheaper to buy eggs at the grocery store than it is to raise chickens and get eggs from them.

Sad, but true. My grandmother used to joke wryly about the ten dollar eggs my grandfather's chickens produced.

And these days, with the price of feed as high as it is, it's definitely not cheap to raise your own chickens for meat and eggs.

BUT, that being said, the eggs and meat we get from our chickens are the most healthy and wonderful and tasty eggs and meat you'll ever eat. We know what goes into them, and what doesn't (antibiotics, hormones, etc.) and under what conditions the birds are kept. Our birds get to run around on grass all day, chase bugs, breathe fresh air, see the sun, feel the wind. Commercial poultry farm chickens don't get that. Not even close.

So, as long as you're not getting into this thinking you're going to save a lot of money by "raising your own eggs", then go for it. I don't mean to burst anyone's bubbles or anything, but do want to be up front about the costs of it all.

I'm very new to the chicken world. I started out with 4 Rhode Island reds. Then 4 production reds. Here is where my question comes in. I bought 4 more red sex links from grandpa when they where 3 months old. They r almost 6 months and I've think 2 of them of them r roosters. But idk what kind it is. Looks to me like a r I r or a buckeye. How do I tell the difference

If you post some photos I am sure folks will be happy to help you determine what you're working with (if we can.) But the most obvious factor is that a RIR has a single comb, and a Buckeye has a pea comb.

A Buckeye male, with a pea comb, should look like this:

And for comparison, a Dutch Bantam, a breed with a single comb, looks like this (I don't breed RIRs, so can't post a picture of one):

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom