List of egglaying factors

I believe happy chickens lay more eggs. I have 5 hens that are laying now (20 that will be old enough to lay in the next 2 months). I get an average of 4 eggs a day, easily 2 dozen a week. Here is my advice for happy chickens:

• spend time with them, even holding them sometimes (my girls think I am the head rooster and run to me when I go to the chicken yard, even sometimes presenting themselves to me
    love.gif
    lol)
  • we keep a kettle on the counter and put all our "good" scraps in it. twice a day I take that out to them. there is a quite a flurry of happiness when they see me coming.
  • have alot of places to roost. it gives them comfort and helps them keep clean.
  • don't forget to talk to them. I praise every time I get an egg, yes it is weird, but it works.
  • if you have a garden give all your bad (no mold) vegs to the birds. we just toss them over the fence. tomatoes are the favorite.
  • we feed: multi-flock (I have 10 ducks in with my chickens), layer crumbles in the hen house, cracked corn mixed with flax seed and oyster shell spread on the ground.
  • clean water to drink, in two or three places.

Hope this helps some,

Tracy in Indiana

had this problem at first also. Old timers said they could be too fat, cut back food to 1/2 cup feed per chicken twice a day.

Give some fruit and veggies - don't have to be fresh - just not rotten or moldy

Do Not feed cat food! Can try hand full of small dog food - this increases protein.

If its really hot they may not be eating very well, give them a shower use mist setting on nozzel and spray into air and let fall like rain.

And the old folks tell me that some hens just can't lay! There is a three finger test but I can't figure that one out, maybe you have some old timer in area that can explain.

What do roosters do? Do they both cover hens? This maybe too many roos, causes hens to be nervous wrecks.

Watch who is sitting, see if they are eating eggs. Other animals will eat fresh eggs too, and look for snakes.

One oldtimer told me to give them a small can of tuna once in a while, haven't had to try this.

I have 18 hens and one Deleware roo, 11 to 15 eggs/day now.

Heat does slow down laying, especially if your hens don't like to eat when its hot but what you are describing seems extreme.

If you can, letting them roam around and dig might cool them down which will increase their appetites. I agree with who ever said it that happy chickens lay better. Feeding them some tuna is a good idea too as they don't have to eat much to get lots of protein.

Sort of off topic but it's come up so though that I'd mention that I personally don't mess with the light or do anything else that forces laying since in the end you will get the same number of eggs over a longer period with a natural light cycle.

Last edited:
And just a note since I noticed this was a recent thread. DO NOT GIVE YOUR CHICKENS SCRATCH WHEN IT'S HOT OUT! It has a high fat content and will heat them up. That's why it's a wonderful treat to give right before bed when it's cooler out, to help keep them warm overnight. Also, at least one of my girls has started her molt (reaction to the shorter days, cooler temps) and they do stop their lay well before they start to shed feathers.

Also, if they are day/free ranging, check that they aren't laying out in the yard somewhere. And remember that an egg is like 90% water, they must have access to cool fresh water at all times. My girls hate ACV in their water and will drink less if I put it in there. But fresh water with ice in it and they'll drink forever!

Quote: Hi,
Your friend is right. Do not feed corn during laying season. It makes fat . Fat lays under the skin and makes it more inflexible. Skin has to stretch when the hens reproductive organs swell when laying season begins. If the skin can't stretch like it should, then the hen lays fewer eggs.
Instead, feed them sprouted oats which are at least 4 days old, but no older than 7 days. Older than 7 days doesn't bring any nutritional benefit, however, it does increase the chances the sprouts may start to mold. Good sprouted oats smell fresh and green. Moldy sprouted oats smell rank and/or are slimy.. don't fed moldy,rank sprouted oats to your birds, they can make them sick.
Use forage oats, not seed oats, for sprouting.
Seed oats may be treated with an anti-fungicide , which causes them to mold instead of sprouting. Forage oats are oats the farmer or hunter plans in his fields for the stock/game. One good brand is Plotspike Forage Oats available at Tractor Supply Company. They are specially line-bred, not GMO. Created in 2001 at Louisiana State University.
There is a whole discussion thread on BYC about sprouted oats.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/425134/anybody-raise-sprouts-to-feed-the-chickens Start on pages 25 thru 30.
Why at least 4 days old? Before 4 days, sprouted oats are a "grain feed". They are fed as a replacement for part of the usual daily ration. At 4 days old, a nutritional change occurs within the sprout. Now it is "green feed". Feed as a supplement to the reg. daily ration. Feed 1 cubic inch per bird, per day .Feed to bowel tolerance, if the bowels become a bit soft, just back off the quantity a bit and they will firm right back up.
Green feed sprouted oats are excellent for bringing hens into lay. Also for helping the roosters sperm be more robust which helps him sire more robust chicks.

One can sprout many seeds for their birds. Historically, with multiple scientific studies ( results online) to prove it, oats have proven themselves the very best grain for sprouting for poultry.

A 20 watt light bulb is enough light to effect laying in a 10x10 chicken coop.

Best Regards,
Karen in western PA, USA

Edited by 3riverschick - Today at 2:36 pm

Thanks for starting this thread!!
yesss.gif

My girls haven't been laying well either. I assumed it was because of this stiffling East Texas heat and the fact that we have added new comers to the coop recently.

I am having issues with my girls laying as well. We have 8 and would get at least 7 a day...but now there are days when we only get 2, and on a good day, it's 6 lately. I am not sure what's going on..I am thinking it might be the high humidity/heat here in NJ that's causing issues...either that, or they are getting ready to molt and production is slowing. In regards to what Purple said...about not feeding them scratch...it takes more for them to digest, making them too hot....save your scratch for the fall when the weather is cooler. For protein, I have been feeding them tuna. Walmart has it super cheap...like 68cents a can...Good luck

My 16 hens are 2 years old, Buff Orpington, Sex Links, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Easter Egger, Barred Rocks. We have had 100 degree temps for over 30 days; they are housed in a coop for now that is partially screened, have 2 fans, a sandbox that I wet down, a 3 gallon wading pool, water at all times, Flockraiser crumbles at all times. Oyster Shell. They get birdseed (milo, Boss, millet) as a treat and things from our veggie garden. Not getting many eggs and soft shells are a problem with two at this time even with the Oyster shell add to their feed. Have lost hens to the heat this year. My white EE appears to have started a molt.

Back
Top Bottom