List of symptoms. Suggestions where to start looking

appps

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 29, 2012
Australia
So I have moulting chickens. They look very straggly which is probably why I missed this. Thought it was just part of their first moult rather than they looked disheveled due to illness.

Two of them look quite disheveled and are doing squirty poos that appear to be mostly liquid with green maybe undifested food in them. Oh and when I say squirty I mean you hear the squirt sound so you know they have done it.

Some have blackish spots on combs. We are never below 20celcius here so not frostbite but that's the first thing it reminded me of when I saw it. One has a pale patch on hers which I'm guessing is before it goes black.

This morning I get up and thought one had lost an eye. I think its actually that around the eye has swollen making it look a bit like a sunken hole.

She is mouth breathing and when I picked her up to pop into solitary started gasping till I put her down again.

All of them seem okay otherwise. Walking round free ranging happily. Perhaps less energy with the worst one as I did notice one sitting in the garden when I let them out yesterday where normally they are too busy exploring to take a rest.

We are in Australia so not sure if that makes a difference to diseases it could be.

I will take her to the vet today as its my daughters pet and I want go with ideas of what treatment I should be asking for.

Last edited:
Ask the vet about gram stains and fecal floats, that will give you an idea if it's a bacteria or parasites.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thanks. We just got back from the vet. She felt it was best to euthanize her as she was struggling to breath and mucus was everywhere in her mouth and oozing out the eye. She will do an autopsie so we know if we need to worry about the others catching it.

One broken hearted little girl but I think she did the brave thing saying let her go instead of suffering.

So sorry....
hugs.gif

-Kathy

Thanks. Vet rang and said we made the right decision as once she opened her she found quite a mess and she wouldn't have lived.

Her diagnosis is ILT which scares the crap out of me.

Going to disinfect everything and feed the rest up with vitamins and extra protien to give them the best chance of fighting it. We thought this one was on and off broody as she was spending a lot of time in the nesting box but then not staying there so that was probably when she first started feeling sick which means she has had it and been in with the others a good week.

I've read bits about a non shedding vaccine but don't know if its too late for that now anyway or whether we are 100% sure just on autopsie without blood tests and will I make them sick with vaccine and it turns out to be something similar and they are then to sick to fight both.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom