Listless 9 Day Old Chick

Beccatrix

Songster
Nov 28, 2021
Wisconsin
I have a completely listless chick that wasn't moving, just breathing, much for about 90 minute. Can't seem to stand. Doesn't respond to water with Hydro-Hen except for swallowing a drop on my hand every 20 or so minutes. One swallow like that with egg yolk. I had 15 chicks yesterday that were doing great. I added 3 more from the same hatchery last night. This chick is about 9 days old. I was at work today, but my husband said everybody seemed fine during the day. Temperature is normal. Feed is medicated for coccidiosis. Vaccinated for Marek's. Ongoing access to water and separate water with Hydro-Hen . I've tried using a syringe to put water around the beak, too. She seems smaller than the other chicks. She lets me move her, and will perk up for a second. A few cheaps in the last hour....like 3. Eyes closed. Can't seem to stretch her wings. Breathing seems slower now than 60 minutes ago, but I don't know enough about what's normal. Bedding is pine chips. Added top soil 3 days ago in a 6" area for dust bath. Any tips on what to do would be appreciated. Anything about what to do for the rest of the chicks would be appreciated. These are my first chicks.

I had two in a similar state. I got them very warm and spoon fed it egg yolk and Nutridrench every 30 min or so. I also gave them water. And I carried them with me at all times. I even took them to work. I put on a sweatshirt backwards and kept them in the hood with hand warmers in it.

One didn't make it, unfortunately, but the other recovered (with some problems).
Sounds like you are doing pretty much the same as I did. It may be a case of failure to thrive. It's impossible to know.

I had two in a similar state. I got them very warm and spoon fed it egg yolk and Nutridrench every 30 min or so. I also gave them water. And I carried them with me at all times. I even took them to work. I put on a sweatshirt backwards and kept them in the hood with hand warmers in it.

One didn't make it, unfortunately, but the other recovered (with some problems).
Sounds like you are doing pretty much the same as I did. It may be a case of failure to thrive. It's impossible to know.
Thanks. I've been keeping her tucked up against me, but put her under her own brooder plate in a separate box so I can do night chores. She took a small sip of sugar water, flapped her wings, and had her eyes open. But now she's face planted under the plate again.

I have a completely listless chick that wasn't moving, just breathing, much for about 90 minute. Can't seem to stand. Doesn't respond to water with Hydro-Hen except for swallowing a drop on my hand every 20 or so minutes. One swallow like that with egg yolk. I had 15 chicks yesterday that were doing great. I added 3 more from the same hatchery last night. This chick is about 9 days old. I was at work today, but my husband said everybody seemed fine during the day. Temperature is normal. Feed is medicated for coccidiosis. Vaccinated for Marek's. Ongoing access to water and separate water with Hydro-Hen . I've tried using a syringe to put water around the beak, too. She seems smaller than the other chicks. She lets me move her, and will perk up for a second. A few cheaps in the last hour....like 3. Eyes closed. Can't seem to stretch her wings. Breathing seems slower now than 60 minutes ago, but I don't know enough about what's normal. Bedding is pine chips. Added top soil 3 days ago in a 6" area for dust bath. Any tips on what to do would be appreciated. Anything about what to do for the rest of the chicks would be appreciated. These are my first chicks.
Please post some photos of the chick and her poop.

9 days old, I would suspect Coccidiosis. Do you have any Corid?

Liquid Corid Dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water.

How much space in the brooder. Temp is "normal" what is it on the thermometer - cold side and warm side?
Photos of brooder/living space may be helpful as well.

Please post some photos of the chick and her poop.

9 days old, I would suspect Coccidiosis. Do you have any Corid?

Liquid Corid Dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water.

How much space in the brooder. Temp is "normal" what is it on the thermometer - cold side and warm side?
Photos of brooder/living space may be helpful as well.
3x3 Incubator Hexagon pop up with a Producer's Pride 12"x...18"? 15 chicks healthy through yesterday. 3 babies from same hatchery last night, no problems. Feed is Manna Pro Medicated Chick Feed. One water, one mixed with Hydro-Hen. Room temp has been 75-78. . Brooder plate checked throughout the day to maintain heat level. On a tilt to provide different levels of warmth. Spot clean 2-3x/day. Full clean every other day.

I can get Corrid in the morning from Tractor Supply. Is it ok with their feed?

I'll do another round of sugar water and egg, then do pics. She "drank" 1.5ccs about 45 minutes ago and had her eyes open again. She has not pooped since I first picked her up 2-3 hours ago.

Attachments

• 20220525_235336.jpg
    20220525_235336.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220525_235224.jpg
    20220525_235224.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220525_235017.jpg
    20220525_235017.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom