Listless Araucana -

ronniegirl

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 10, 2012
I have six chickens, approximately three months old. One is an Araucana (also have 2 Isa Brown, 2 Black Star and a RI Red). The Arauncana has always been the friendliest of the flock and the most mellow. For the past two days or so, she has been spending most of the day in the coop on the roost. She is eating fine - although she isn't as aggressive going after food as the others - letting them eat first. Today I noticed that she has dark diarrhea. I can't determine if she's sick or just mellow. My 12 year old daughter is very concerned. Any ideas?

What are you feeding them? Medicated or non?

I always assume when youngsters are ailing that it is a cocci overload. Is she all puffed up and hunched like she is cold?

I received your reply while I was out running errands and stopped into the local feed store. The consensus there (among the owner - chicken owner- and customer - chicken owner) was that, since she's eating fine, it could be a pecking order kind of thing. I had also noticed in the past few days that they were chasing her away from the scraps that we fed them and she's been "last in line". So their advice was to watch and wait and come back if she stops eating and/or starts having bloody diarrhea. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom