1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Literal button quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Elza, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Elza

Elza Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2016
    So I miserably failed my somewhat first/second attempt at incubating anyway that's the long story, however I have 1 baby quail that has survived, she/he does have the bad feet but gets around no issues but see the thing is my baby quail is maybe reaching around 6 weeks off the top of my head without reading dates, he/she has all the feathers but hasnt really grown at all. It's literally a button quail hahahhaha anyone have any ideas what's going on or what's happened.. I will get a pic and post.

2. Elza

Elza Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2016
    [​IMG]
    My others at this age were nearly fully grown. ?????

3. BabyandCotton

BabyandCotton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    I have little experience with quail, but here goes. If she is eating and drinking fine, and is active, I wouldn't worry about her. In fact when she was mature, I'd be tempted to breed her to a smaller male to get tiny babies! She is a pretty quail.
    -Liv

1 person likes this.
  4. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    She sure is small.. She might just be a late bloomer. But yeah, as long as she's eating and behaving normally, don't worry too much.

1 person likes this.
  5. vicky1212123

vicky1212123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2016
    Lincoln, IL
    you could find a small male, mate them, and make money off of tiny, tiny button quail! you'd get rich!

1 person likes this.
  6. Elza

Elza Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2016
    I can't breed her, she has bad feet, I'm worried she will have bad genes .. not sure if she is female or male yet, she looks female at the moment but my last quail went white to black / dark coloured with the male bibbing .. so just going to wait, I just sorta had it come to me the other day that she is bloody tiny hahaha and realised she was around 6 weeks or so and should be much much bigger by now. She grew all her feathers but didn't grow and she got a little bigger but that's it. I have her in with 2 baby chicks at the moment, my quails won't accept her.

7. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    What's going on with her feet? Could it be a deformity from the difficult incubation and not in the genes?

Also, I know that people want big coturnix quail, but do people really want even smaller button quail? [​IMG] I don't have experience with them but they are adorable [​IMG]

8. Elza

Elza Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2016
    I think it's from the incubation process but not sure...
    Hahahs I didn't think a button quail could possibly get any smaller

9. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    If she doesn't get any bigger, she might get issues when she starts laying - if she is a she. The eggs might very well have the usual size.

1 person likes this.
  10. SunflowerTheBun

SunflowerTheBun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.
    Looks like our king quail babies to me...
    They are the smallest type of quail and won't even grow to the size of your hand in length.
    (by my estimates)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by