Literal button quail

Elza

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2016
So I miserably failed my somewhat first/second attempt at incubating anyway that's the long story, however I have 1 baby quail that has survived, she/he does have the bad feet but gets around no issues but see the thing is my baby quail is maybe reaching around 6 weeks off the top of my head without reading dates, he/she has all the feathers but hasnt really grown at all. It's literally a button quail hahahhaha anyone have any ideas what's going on or what's happened.. I will get a pic and post.

My others at this age were nearly fully grown. ?????

I have little experience with quail, but here goes. If she is eating and drinking fine, and is active, I wouldn't worry about her. In fact when she was mature, I'd be tempted to breed her to a smaller male to get tiny babies! She is a pretty quail.
-Liv

She sure is small.. She might just be a late bloomer. But yeah, as long as she's eating and behaving normally, don't worry too much.

I can't breed her, she has bad feet, I'm worried she will have bad genes .. not sure if she is female or male yet, she looks female at the moment but my last quail went white to black / dark coloured with the male bibbing .. so just going to wait, I just sorta had it come to me the other day that she is bloody tiny hahaha and realised she was around 6 weeks or so and should be much much bigger by now. She grew all her feathers but didn't grow and she got a little bigger but that's it. I have her in with 2 baby chicks at the moment, my quails won't accept her.

What's going on with her feet? Could it be a deformity from the difficult incubation and not in the genes?

Also, I know that people want big coturnix quail, but do people really want even smaller button quail?
1f602.png
I don't have experience with them but they are adorable
263a.png

I think it's from the incubation process but not sure...
Hahahs I didn't think a button quail could possibly get any smaller

If she doesn't get any bigger, she might get issues when she starts laying - if she is a she. The eggs might very well have the usual size.

Back
Top Bottom