Literally got my butt beat by a guinea today

Mom 2em All

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Dora, Alabama
So today was the day. My guinea-wanna be chicken discovered the keets in the brooder cage. AND she wouldnt let any chicken in the coop. (brooder cage is in the coop).
She kept up her racket and her chasing others and her tantrum until I decided today is the day I am moving (away hahaha from her incessant hollering)...the babies to the other pen- a modified dog kennel with branches and a tarp and etc.
So, I reached in and caught baby one, and she flew at me in a psycho cobra ninja motion and beat the tar out of me which made me lose one of the keets in the coop. Well she went over to claim it as her long lost child and I nabbed the last two.
When I went to get the wayward keet, she came at me again and again and I finally grabbed a two X four roost to fend her off,got the baby and ran haha. Blood running down both my legs from the scratches she inflicted and Im sure Ill have many bruises tomorrow.

It took her all day to find out where I moved them. So I opened the pen to let her join her own kind and the keets ( of course) thought she was a pterodactyl - so I let her back out. A couple more weeks and maybe they can all live together.

As for the injured keet- well.. I did try to get pictures. But what I think happened is that it dislocated or slipped tendons in its "ankle". It flexes its toes, it walks from the knee up. Its foot is somewhat out and up and it doesnt use it. But it can roost. And it hobbles. So,it is what it is, hopefully it will be able to adapt and thrive.

So today was the day. My guinea-wanna be chicken discovered the keets in the brooder cage. AND she wouldnt let any chicken in the coop. (brooder cage is in the coop).
She kept up her racket and her chasing others and her tantrum until I decided today is the day I am moving (away hahaha from her incessant hollering)...the babies to the other pen- a modified dog kennel with branches and a tarp and etc.
So, I reached in and caught baby one, and she flew at me in a psycho cobra ninja motion and beat the tar out of me which made me lose one of the keets in the coop. Well she went over to claim it as her long lost child and I nabbed the last two.
When I went to get the wayward keet, she came at me again and again and I finally grabbed a two X four roost to fend her off,got the baby and ran haha. Blood running down both my legs from the scratches she inflicted and Im sure Ill have many bruises tomorrow.

It took her all day to find out where I moved them. So I opened the pen to let her join her own kind and the keets ( of course) thought she was a pterodactyl - so I let her back out. A couple more weeks and maybe they can all live together.

As for the injured keet- well.. I did try to get pictures. But what I think happened is that it dislocated or slipped tendons in its "ankle". It flexes its toes, it walks from the knee up. Its foot is somewhat out and up and it doesnt use it. But it can roost. And it hobbles. So,it is what it is, hopefully it will be able to adapt and thrive.
:eek:

Wow that sounds like you had a day! I hope you’re having a relaxing evening after that eventful day. If not, here’s a fire picture to make you feel like you did because you deserve it :highfive:
8A24393E-76A0-49B4-B847-74BF591F9503.jpeg

In the future, catch and isolate the hen before you do anything else. Too late this time but ...

In the future, catch and isolate the hen before you do anything else. Too late this time but ...

I havent been able to catch her since she was three weeks old.Shes been living as a mean "chicken". These are not her babies. She has ignored this brooder that had keets and chicks since I brought them home three ?weeks ago. There is a thread somewhere on here about my failed plan to give her babies and taking her eggs away. I had no idea she would attack me when I got the babies- but apparently she can switch on cobra foster mama mode in an instant.

to be continued...
one of the " too small to have free run-but too big to be in a play yard" Dominique chicks got stuck between the bars bars of the play yard and was screaming her head off. And by stuck, I mean super stuck. I was trying to help her when suddenly Nanny Guinea came flying from nowhere and got me again.....and again.... in the back. I dont blame her she was trying to help the chick she thought I was eating. When striking me didnt work, she ran outside and beat up my middle chickens.
Finally got baby free and am left shaking my head.
Guinea doesnt care the slightest bit about the guinea keets in the other pen. Just these chicks- same age.

Back
Top Bottom