Little bit of blood in eye and 1 nostril..help?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JeninMN, Jul 22, 2008.

1. JeninMN

JeninMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Hi everyone,

This concerns my same little hen ( Sweet Pea )that I just got done medicating about a week ago. Had her on terramycin soluable (had them all on it just to be safe) for 14 days. She was looking much much better so at the 14 day mark I took them off of the meds. None of our other 29 has every showed any of the symptoms she has had or has.

Everything was going great...still is but now last night I noticed she had a little blood in one eye (along the lower rim) (also pretty watery) and also some crusted/dried blood on her opposite nostril. Not alot but ANY is more than there should be I would think. Her ears have still looked a little swollen compared to every one elses...they were a little crusty looking. She seems just fine otherwise.

Does this sound like she was maybe just pecked at?? Or do you think that she has something more serious going on? They aren't laying yet...they are 15 weeks old as of this past Sunday. Should I have not taken them off of the meds yet? Do I need to try something else????

ANy and all advice so much appreciated!!!

Jen in MN

2. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    My guess is that she scratched it with her nails. If you watch chickens they will try to scratch their face and I'm sure accidents can happen pretty easily b/c of this.

3. JeninMN

JeninMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Here I am again...same little hen...different day [​IMG]
    She had gotten all healed up...looked much better. Still not having any other troubles except she is still smaller than the rest but she does eat, drink, etc.
    I will take a picture of her tonight if it isn't any better and try to figure out how to upload that.

Still has a little drainage out of one nostril...her eye is the worst tho. And maybe I'm just paranoid but it just doesn't seem normal to me...it looks like she scratched it good the other day (tiny little spot missing on her bottom eyelid) but last night now its a little sunken in looking at the bottom and a big dark ridge between the eye lid and the part that looks sunken in...no more blood or anything..just looks terrible!!

Should I try washing her eye out with saline? Any and all advice so much appreciated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by