Little black banties... what breed? -- better pictures

GoneHomeGrown

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
I have 2 little black banties that I can not figure out what breed they might be. They were out of a mixed lot of bantams at the feed store, so could be anything and I am newer to the chicken scene, so am lacking the breed exposure and knowledge. I will have to get more pictures later as my batteries dumped on me after one picture and of course I have a ton ot triple a batteries in the house and not even any other gadgets with double a's that I can raid from.

I am pretty sure this is a pullet and the other is a little cockerel as he is getting the comb and (waddles?) in. She is next to one of my Jersey Black Giant cockerels in this picture.

P1010038-1.jpg

Both have gotten a very bright teal coloring right at about their ears with the little cockerel's being brighter. I appreciate any ideas and will get more and better pictures later tonight or early tomorrow.

Last edited:
I think OEG means Old Engish Game. I have to disagree with that one but ya never know. That is what is so much fun about getting those free exotic chics. Its a blast trying to figure out what they are. I thought it could possibly be a Black Rose Comb but its still too young to tell. I had a Black Rose Comb Roo and he was the best ever. Full of personality and a beautiful bird. I never did get a pullet though so I can only guess at what they would look like. If its ear lobes turn white, my money is on that breed.

Thank you.

Ok, now I am getting impatient to get you all the pictures of the cockerel. Thank you for the ideas.
Of course, they are for fun. I mostly got the chickens for egg production, but the bantams were just like you said Lbrad7. Lets see what I get and the girls can brood some eggs for me when I am ready for more babies.

Morning chores done and more pictures. Still not the best shots, but less than cooperative subjects. These 2 are a bit more shy than the rest of the chickens.

A couple shots with both
P1010047.jpg

P1010053.jpg

Her
P1010040-1.jpg

P1010051.jpg

and Him
P1010049.jpg

P1010042-1.jpg

P1010043-1.jpg

P1010048.jpg

Looking closer at him today, the lobes do look like they be going white.

Well crap...the roo has a straight comb so the Black Rose Comb is out. I am at a loss....very beautiful birds though! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Thank you!
And who knows from the larger hatcheries (not sure who they ordered from) they could very well be mixed breed, which is ok until I decide what I want around for multiple generations. I was not sure I liked them at first as they wanted to pick at the other banties too much when they were in the brooder, but they are holding their own with the bigger birds and doing well, so have gotten out of the cull list coming soon (too many roos in the "pullets" = dinner).

Back
Top Bottom