Little black mystery hen - any ideas on her breed?

GoneFeral

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 21, 2014
This is the feral chicken which is using our yard to raise her brood. I'd like to see if anyone can help ID her type. I'll try to get some pictures of the rooster down the block - he's probably the father and I'd love to know what we can expect from the little ones later on.

Today:

Last week (babies about five-six weeks):

She is really cagey and doesn't like to be observed, so getting a clear shot of her face and head is difficult.

Cheers!

How cute. She looks to be some kind of game bird or mix, possibly a birchen Old English Game bantam.

Last edited:
How cute. She looks to be some kind of game bird or mix, possibly a birchen Old English Game bantam.

Looks like a game hen... Cute babies... Are feral chickens common where you live...

When I described her at the feed store and could only show the pictures on my phone, they mentioned game hen as a possibility! I really admire her urban survival skills.

There are a few houses with chickens within a mile, where I've walked and biked I've looked for coops and have seen a few. Also seen an occasional random loose chicken roaming around in the early hours on my way to work.

If there is a feral chicken community - I'm wondering if they'd be better off if I don't catch them, but concentrate on feeding them? I'm inclined to interfere because I imagine life around here for them would be unpleasant and unhealthy overall. But I'm open to being told to knock it off and let them be - if I want to help provide food and water but don't try to tame any.

Often when there's a stray hen/rooster thread it is a gamey breed or mix, they're just more adventurous, I guess, due to being bred with the more wild-type game bird blood, and escape somewhere, then end up wandering into people's yards.

I'd be worried about predators getting feral birds, though game breeds are very alert, bred to stay similar to their wild ancestors. Still, it can't be fun for them to spend the night in a vulnerable position outside.

Last edited:
Often when there's a stray hen/rooster thread it is a gamey breed or mix, they're just more adventurous, I guess, due to being bred with the more wild-type game bird blood, and escape somewhere, then end up wandering into people's yards.

I'd be worried about predators getting feral birds, though game breeds are very alert, bred to stay similar to their wild ancestors. Still, it can't be fun for them to spend the night in a vulnerable position outside.
This is so true. Most of the time, just seeing a post titled "a bird wandered into my yard", it's a game bird. I got one that way once, just wish it would happen again! They're the bomb as momma hens.

Back
Top Bottom