Little chook chook attacking me. Why?

Luckily, most of my girls are pretty sweet, but I've had one that will get it in her head that she's going to show me whose boss from time to time. Also, I have a Lavender Orpington that gets picked on constantly for no reason. She's younger than the others (though she's larger lol), and she never shows any aggression toward the others. They will literally run from all the way across the yard just to go after her, however, and then they will chase her until they get bored. With the one that's gone after me a few times, I took my finger tips and "slapped" (tapped) the tip of her beak. Of course I never apply enough pressure to even come close to hurting her, but just the fact that I get in her face like that calms her down immediately. With the ones that chase down the Lavender, I chase them. They hate it, so the moment I chase them, they immediately stop bothering my little Orpington. All I have to do is chase them for 15 or 20 seconds and they're attitudes change. After I stop chasing them, they go back to being their chicken selves. They're not scared of me, so it's not traumatizing for them. It is traumatizing for the Orpington, though. The fear and panic in her eyes when certain chickens come close to her is heartbreaking. Most of all, don't show fear. If your chicken is in fact attacking, your fear may encourage the behavior. I know it's not fun to be attacked, but realistically she's just a little chicken and can't do you that much harm.

I don't know if it goes for chickens, but when keeping parrots -- even little budgies -- people are always warned that the dominant bird perches the highest so never let your birds sit with their eyes higher than your eyes.
Definitely a dominance thing.....and beak should never be near your eyes.
Even if they are soo sweet, it only takes a blink of the eye if they decide to 'taste' that shiney thing<shudders>
I might be a bit sensitive about that as we has a cockatiel that nipped my sons eye,
eyeball was OK but cut the heck out of the inside of his lower lid.

Back
Top Bottom