villiams

Songster
Oct 1, 2017
20201016_192710.jpg

Attachments

• 20201209_080910.jpg
    20201209_080910.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 13
This little chook chook is pretty special and she will often escape the run and find me out. She used to often fly up to me to sit on my arm.
She is prob 4-5 months old.
The last fortnight if I am walking in the garden she will walk with me but as soon as she is behind me she will gain speed and attack me.
I rehomed a wynedotte who had if in for me a couple of years ago.
Same thing, would come running.up to me and attack me if I took eyes off her. She used to.give me fear goosebumps and i couldnt relax in the yard.
Disapointing chook chook now displaying same behaviour. I have 2 boys and hubby and both hens only.go me.
Does anyone know why or what I can do to discourage behaviour?
Thanks
View attachment 2441739
[/QUOTE]
This
I can't see very well from the pic but you might have a young (apparently kinda mean) cockrel.
No!!! I hope not. I've been so sure she's a pullet.Will post more...😥

This little chook chook is pretty special and she will often escape the run and find me out. She used to often fly up to me to sit on my arm.
She is prob 4-5 months old.
The last fortnight if I am walking in the garden she will walk with me but as soon as she is behind me she will gain speed and attack me.
I rehomed a wynedotte who had if in for me a couple of years ago.
Same thing, would come running.up to me and attack me if I took eyes off her. She used to.give me fear goosebumps and i couldnt relax in the yard.
Disapointing chook chook now displaying same behaviour. I have 2 boys and hubby and both hens only.go me.
Thanks
View attachment 2441739
ThisNo!!! I hope not. I've been so sure she's a pullet.Will post more...😥
[/QUOTE]

Can you get side pictures and images of the saddle and hackle feather? I think it may be a boy.

Yes, peck her back!

Have had this happen several times, mostly with hand fed chicks often as they come of age and get spunky. It's pretty easily curbed with calm and deliberate determination.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.

Thank you aart for your reply. I will give your advice a go. Fingers crossed. 🙂

Attachments

• 20201118_155831.jpg
    20201118_155831.jpg
    589.3 KB · Views: 10
Are you sure it's an attack ? Could you be confusing an attack with just wanting to land on you ?

I have one particular pullet, about 4 months old, that routinely flies up toward me, usually landing on my arm, or shoulder, startling me almost every time ! She is not attacking me, she just wants to be first in line for whatever I have in my hands !!!

I know I should discourage this behavior, but ever since she was a baby chick, she has been my little sweetheart. She has never pecked, or "attacked" me, but sometimes she misses her landing, and flaps around, trying to gain purchase. (possibly being mistaken for an attack) Once she has suitable footing, she settles into her sweet little self, pecking only at the goodies in my hand.

Back
Top Bottom