Little Coop In The Big Woods

Quote:
Your window and door headers need to be supported from underneath. They need to sit on top of the vertical leg, not between them. I know it's just a small shed, but there's no strength there...If you haven't sheathed it yet, I'd go back and fix that problem.

ETA: It can be solved by adding a jack stud under both, and also under the window sills, which also need to be supported...In other words, all weight on the headers should be supported all the way from the floor. This will make all of your openings smaller, by 3". That could be a problem, with the door. Also, with the windows, if you've already got them purchased.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks but that train left the station long ago.
smile.png

And I'm not sure it's a problem. It sits solid now and basically it has to hold 15 chickens and their feed. It's also about a bit off square and about 3/4 of an inch off plum on the front walls but I'm a social worker not a carpenter and, well, it's a chicken house.....
smile.png
I have my $2.50 Habitat Store windows, they fit the openings and the siding is already up around them so too late to change that.

My problem right now is figuring out something that will attach to the front end of one rafter and will will push a small tree out about six inches and keep it there without damaging the rafter or the tree

Seven months later and it's finally done---and a week ahead of the arrival of the chicks! Still need to finish the run but I've got a bit of time for that. It's been an interesting process, certainly the most elaborate thing I've ever built. I had a great time doing it! Clearly I was not real good about documenting it here as I went along but the fact is that over the winter it was a couple of hours here and there just to feel like I was making some progress. I really finished it up over the last couple or three weeks.

There are lots of photos here but, well, I just finished it this afternoon and today I'm claiming my bragging rights!
big_smile.png

Bill

40181_web-wd-021.jpg

As I said before, I know the critter issues with it being in the woods but we have three acres and except for most of the garden, it's all in the woods. If we are going to have chickens, they, like the people and the basset hounds will be living in the trees. I've made it as safe as I can---going to bury the fencing and cover the run so we'll see.

40181_web-wd-018.jpg

I was about halfway through painting it when I realized that I had picked out Lincoln Log colors....which probably says something about how much of this was play for me.

40181_picture_wd_004.jpg

40181_web-wd-003.jpg

40181_web-wd-006.jpg

The door on the end opens under the roost so I can clean easier.

40181_web-wd-007.jpg

First room is a storeroom with the nest boxes opening into it. Wanted a dutch door so I could reach in without going in. Top has a screen which should help a lot with ventilation.

40181_web-wd-008.jpg

Top and bottom of the nest boxes open.

40181_web-wd-016.jpg

40181_web-wd-015.jpg

The flooring is self adhesive tile on top of the original linoleum I laid down at the very first. I went up the side of the wall because I plan to use deep litter and it seemed to make sense.

40181_web-wd-014.jpg

Pulley to open the chicken door from the storeroom through the dutch door, still not sure that the wrapped rope will hold it, I may add a catch to hold it open as well.

40181_web-wd-010.jpg

Roosts with the cleaning door. I had some people tell me they had to be flat for the chicken's comfort and others tell me they had to be round because chickens are not comfortable unless they can perch. I tried to find an answer and it came to six of one...so I went with flat because it was the easiest to build and still keep mobile. They attache to the wall with eye hooks and braces.

40181_web-wd-012.jpg

Nest boxes also make great tool boxes. I need to clean the supplies out and paint the inside of them, I'm thinking I'll line them with the same linoleum tiles that are on the floor.

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy.[/quote :

It looks amazing!
thumbsup.gif
ep.gif

What kind of chicks are you getting?
pop.gif

Oh, and by the by....you can NEVER post too many pics!
wink.png

Thank you. I never thought building a chicken coop could get so invlved!

As for the chicks, which hatch a week from today, I'm getting a real mix, Colombian, gold, silver and blue laced red Wyandottes, a couple of Welsummers, Sicilian Buttercup, Blue Andalusian , Partridge Rock, Buff Orpington, Dominique, Golden Lakenvelder, Cuckoo Maran,Golden Campine and the single --I hope---rooster and two hens are Ameraucanas (And...
big_smile.png
I'm fully aware that with that one word, there are 40 or 50 people right just aching to let me know Ameraucanas from a hatchery are "really Easter Eggers" and/or "just mutts". Before anyone does, I do know that but I prefer to think of them as "barnyard quality" Ameraucanas--like pet quality AKc dogs...
wink.png
) Getting them from Meyer. They have what they call the Meyer Meal Maker Program --they give you a chick, a layer if that's what you order or meat bird is you order those and you promise to give the eggs or meat to someone in need. I thought it was an interesting twist on the usual free chick giveaway. So I have no idea what that one will be. As you can see, I'm going for a mixed flock that will hatch some real "mutts" next spring!

Believe me I could get carried away with pictures. Last winter we had an ice storm and I was most excited to take pictures of my coop in ice. Can't imagine how it will be when the chicks arrive!

Bill

edited for spelling

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you. I never thought building a chicken coop could get so invlved!

As for the chicks, which hatch a week from today, I'm getting a real mix, Colombian, gold, silver and blue laced red Wyandottes, a couple of Welsummers, Sicilian Buttercup, Blue Andalusian , Partridge Rock, Buff Orpington, Dominique, Golden Lakenvelder, Cuckoo Maran,Golden Campine and the single --I hope---rooster and two hens are Ameraucanas (And...
big_smile.png
I'm fully aware that with that one word, there are 40 or 50 people right just aching to let me know Ameraucanas from a hatchery are "really Easter Eggers" and/or "just mutts". Before anyone does, I do know that but I prefer to think of them as "barnyard quality" Ameraucanas--like pet quality AKc dogs...
wink.png
) Getting them from Meyer. They have what they call the Meyer Meal Maker Program --they give you a chick, a layer if that's what you order or meat bird is you order those and you promise to give the eggs or meat to someone in need. I thought it was an interesting twist on the usual free chick giveaway. So I have no idea what that one will be. As you can see, I'm going for a mixed flock that will hatch some real "mutts" next spring!

Believe me I could get carried away with pictures. Last winter we had an ice storm and I was most excited to take pictures of my coop in ice. Can't imagine how it will be when the chicks arrive!

Bill

edited for spelling

Oh, I have a Blue Andalusian hen, Coral, she is such a sweety! She lays me medium sized white eggs and is so curious. My Buff Orpingtons are quiet, gentle, and have a super sweet temperment.

Back
Top Bottom