Little duck from the flea market...?

RosemaryDuck

Crowing
Dec 15, 2020
Florida
Hey all. Was at the local flea market this morning and a guy there had a bunch of injured animals 😞. This little one had a big hole in his back so I got him just to get him healed up.

Can anyone tell me anything about this duck? Breed/sex/anything? I'm thinking Muscovy but the colors seem wrong. I'm already in the process of getting the wounds cleaned up. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20210718_135251263.jpg
    IMG_20210718_135251263.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20210718_135256719.jpg
    IMG_20210718_135256719.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20210718_141141967.jpg
    IMG_20210718_141141967.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210718_141201332.jpg
    IMG_20210718_141201332.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Fast little update: While cleaning the wound it seems the entire preen gland is exposed and out. The flesh around it is gone. Cleaned it well with chlorhexidine & applied Manuka Honey. Thinking she's going to need stitches.

Poor little one, def a Muscovy, wonder if he had this one in with chickens? I can see chickens doing this. Are you going to take her to the vet?
Did he have an explanation for why he had injured animals?
Yep! I already talked with a vet friend over the phone and she's going in tomorrow to get wound care & hopefully the gland closed up.

And no unfortunately 😞. This flea market is pretty notorious for this. It's been reported a lot but no one ever does anything about it because they're 'just farm animals'. I hate that I had to give him money. I just couldn't walk away knowing this poor duck was bleeding all over with a hole that big.

That is awful someone should be shot for allowing that. Thankfully you came along.
I can't go to poultry shows, flea markets, even feed store knowing there may be injured or dying animals there. I don't have the room to bring them all home and I know Id want to. Bless you for rescuing her. That is great you already have it set up for her care.

That is awful someone should be shot for allowing that. Thankfully you came along.
I can't go to poultry shows, flea markets, even feed store knowing there may be injured or dying animals there. I don't have the room to bring them all home and I know Id want to. Bless you for rescuing her. That is great you already have it set up for her care.
Thank you for your kind words! I do a lot of rescue/wildlife care so I have stuff on hand normally. Plus an awesome vet friend. Trust me, if I could I'd take them all from that place.

I go there just for regular shopping and looking for neat stuff, but there are animals there frequently. Sick puppies, livestock, birds, reptiles etc. Always very unwell. It's so sad.

Local law enforcement & animal control don't seem to care to do anything. They did make one of the stalls clean their animal enclosures once, but did nothing for the actual animals. 😞

That's so sad. Yeah I keep a lot of med stuff on hand too but this is way beyond me. If she hasn't an oil gland now she will not be able to keep her feathers oiled which means she will probably need a lot of help getting dry and fluffed after swimming. To keep her from getting wet feather.

Back
Top Bottom