Little fighter approaches the end

MandS

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2016
Berkshire, UK
I wrote about Betty back in April. She had a blocked crop, was operated on and it went wrong. Her stiches opened and she got dirt etc in her.

I persevered and we had a full operation (general anesthetic) to clear the mess and then we helped her recuperate. She developed ascites after that and was on diuretic tablets for about 3 months. However, she started to get to a point where the diuretics were stopped and she needed to be drained once but the next time there wasn't any fluid.

Now, 9 months later, she is in a bad way. We had been away but our daughter told us that she was lethargic and her comb was a dark purple. Yesterday in the sun, it went pinker, but once cold, it was purple again. So I sent photos to the vet who asked me to bring her in immediately.

Here's where I need advice:

He felt her abdomen, which seemed large but was not like a balloon. He tried to drain fluid and hit an internal organ (ie he got blood out of her) then tried again and there was no fluid. At this point, her comb was pink (she was warm) but she started to lurch and then toppled. He grabbed her and put her on oxygen immediately. Very soon, she was bright red comb and actually preening and eating (in an oxygen tent). So they kept her in overnight in an oxygen tent, gave her antibiotic injections and a diuretic to remove any fluid off the lungs (in case there was). They called me this morning to say that she goes blue (cyanosis) when she comes out of the tent. They are doing an x-ray and ultrasound on her today with a view to seeing if there is any fluid anywhere or if there is organ enlargement. I am guessing it is her heart, which is something that many chickens will succumb to.

However, I said "if you don't find anything, we can take her home and just let her pass away naturally." She was scratching about slowly yesterday and still being the top hen by pecking the lowest of the group when she tried to get to some food. I am (probably because I am clutching at straws) still hopeful they will find something. But he said "No, I cannot allow her to leave here unless she is better, so I would euthanase her."

I know we have had an extra 9 months with Betty due to my determination before to have her treated despite a poor prognosis, but am I missing anything that we could do? She is not diseased with anything contagious - all the other hens are fine - so it is some problem with her internals. If we cannot sort her, do you think he is right or I am right about the way she should pass away?

Here is how she looked before and after oxygen. She was not well but not so ill she couldn't stand, scratch or get to her roost before I took her in. So I think the stress of the vet hasn't helped her and she has been panting and not breathing normally, hence her falling over. I think I've done the same myself when I have been stressed!
Betty - before and after oxygen.jpg

It is horrible. I do anything I can for my chickens, as you can probably tell, and we treat them no differently to a dog or cat as far as treatments/vets are concerned. I am just very down about it and feeling like time and hope are slipping away.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
Betty has fought the hard battle, and you're probably correct in believing she's near her end. It's entirely your call how and when to end it for her.

From the sound of things, she's in final stage organ failure, and without the support care from the vet, she will likely die soon after you bring her home. Having the vet euthanize her would save you both the uncertainty and possible suffering that prolonging her life would entail. I urge you to consider it.

You need to remind the vet if they want to be paid, that you have the right to take her home, even if she dies in the car along the way. She is your property. I don’t know if he is afraid that you will sue him or what, but you have a right to take her home. You could send her body to your state vet for a necropsy if you need to find out what was wrong with her.

That said, I would not let them do anything else, testing wise or treatments. But that is up to you. She has a disease with a bad outcome. Ascites can happen due to heart failure or because of liver failure secondary to reproductive disorders or cancer. Sorry that she appears ro be dying. I hope that you can get her home to die, but she sounds like she turns blue if she leaves the oxygen. I just hope the vet doesn’t keep doing more expensive tests to run your bill even higher.

It sounds like a heart problem, maybe a heart valve. When she was placed in the oxygen tent, she almost acts normal. When she was removed from the tent, she's back at death's doorstep.
That said, it is commendable that you have gone beyond what most chicken owners would have done for a chicken, and no doubt you are extremely lucky to have a veterinarian that sees chickens.
I'm sorry you're going through this but I think it would be best to bring your hen home and let her live out life with the rest of your flock. I wish you the best.

Thank you so much for your comments and advice. I really appreciate it.

However the little fighter has other ideas.....

I received a call this afternoon and expected the worst, however the news was absolutely the opposite. They said Betty had rallied round and was doing well. She was able to go home!

They did an x-ray and ultrasound and found a lot of fluid in her. They drained it and all of a sudden she could breathe properly again. She is still on antibiotics and back on the diuretic tablets again, but she came home and is back to normal more or less.

Yes, she still has issues. They have sent the fluid off for analysis because there are some markers of inflammation in there and his strong suggestion is that it is a reproductive issue, such as a tumor (she hasn't laid for over a year) so next step is to have a contraceptive inserted under her skin.

So, what I feared would be a dreadful day was OK. When they called me, I am sorry to say I burst into tears from the relief. Emotions were very high!

So here she is once we brought her home. No oxygen and a ravenous appetite (ate a load of mash and drank some water before we put her back in the coop with the others).
Betty back home.jpg

Thank you all so very much!

Thank you so much for your comments and advice. I really appreciate it.

However the little fighter has other ideas.....

I received a call this afternoon and expected the worst, however the news was absolutely the opposite. They said Betty had rallied round and was doing well. She was able to go home!

They did an x-ray and ultrasound and found a lot of fluid in her. They drained it and all of a sudden she could breathe properly again. She is still on antibiotics and back on the diuretic tablets again, but she came home and is back to normal more or less.

Yes, she still has issues. They have sent the fluid off for analysis because there are some markers of inflammation in there and his strong suggestion is that it is a reproductive issue, such as a tumor (she hasn't laid for over a year) so next step is to have a contraceptive inserted under her skin.

So, what I feared would be a dreadful day was OK. When they called me, I am sorry to say I burst into tears from the relief. Emotions were very high!

So here she is once we brought her home. No oxygen and a ravenous appetite (ate a load of mash and drank some water before we put her back in the coop with the others).
View attachment 2014222

Thank you all so very much!
Wow that is quite a story! And she is a beauty. Glad you got to take her home and I hope she continues to do well. You are quite the Chick Mom! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom