Little Giant 10300

Has anyone figured out the reason for the plastic film under the thermostat. I mean it takes up a quarter of the incubator practically... I've placed that Spot Check under the thermostat and had almost a degree in temperature difference... I think the design of it was intended for use without egg turners because I've had to free mine up on a couple of occasions...
That thing is a menace. When I use the turner, it makes the plastic thingy move all over the place. Can't get an accurate and stable temp that way!!!
he.gif
When I talked to them, they told me to wad it up into the slots on the heater. Uhhhh....that totally messed up the temp control.

Yeah, I've contemplated cutting it back so that I can wedge it on the side where the turner motor is even with the first rack so that I know I am getting full temp across the bator. Or just zip tie it to the first rack. I see no point in the film, to me it obstructs airflow around the eggs evenly

Last edited:
Yeah right now I am waiting for the tech guy at Miller to get off lunch then I am going to drill him with questions, I'll post what I find out.

I've also been thinking about altering my egg turner again (for got to mention this). The hovabator turner does not fit in this model of incubator... I had to take it to the band saw and trim it down... But now I am thinking about drilling a bunch of 3/4" holes down the sides of the turner so air can flow through them, as it stands now the air can only go under the eggs from two sides because of solid plastic on the turner...

Has anyone had a good hatch with this model? Mine was a disaster, I gave up and invested in a Brinsea. Got 100% hatch of fertilized eggs with the Brinsea, 4/26 hatched with the little giant. I also noticed that the chicks from the Brinsea hatch were more lively. I agree with the comments on the plastic sheet- just wait until you get chicks dragging it around during the hatch. That can't be good for temperature stability...
I keep waiting to hear the tips from someone who figures this model out. Guess I will keep waiting!

Has anyone had a good hatch with this model? Mine was a disaster, I gave up and invested in a Brinsea. Got 100% hatch of fertilized eggs with the Brinsea, 4/26 hatched with the little giant. I also noticed that the chicks from the Brinsea hatch were more lively. I agree with the comments on the plastic sheet- just wait until you get chicks dragging it around during the hatch. That can't be good for temperature stability...
I keep waiting to hear the tips from someone who figures this model out. Guess I will keep waiting!
I just make sure I rotate my eggs each day by moving them around. That way they aren't always sitting in a hot or cool spot. I also try to make sure the plastic sheet is always sitting in the same place once I establish the correct temp. Sometimes though, it will move as my turner moves. That is frustrating. Once they start to hatch, I just place it on the floor of the bator. I haven't had any chicks get tangled in it or drag it around(yet), but I'm sure it's bound to happen. I have had pretty good hatch rates, but a few have come out a little sticky. I plan to buy a better bator in the NEAR future.

Not to bring you guys down, but I tried my first hatch with a very similar LG. I had the exact same results. I think the chicks were drowning, too, but from high humidity the first 18 days, and intermittent temperature swings. Not enough evaporation early on to develop a large enough air sack. I was so agravated that I waited until I could afford a more expensive incubator. There are people on here that have amazing hatch rates with styrofoam, but if you work long hours and can't babysit your incubator, there are some extremely reliable incubators for a little more than a forced air styrofoam. I bought a Brinsea 20 Advance, and it is so rock solid that I would be totally confident using the Eco model that is a good bit cheaper. If you plan on hatching multiple batches, it would be worth the extra money, and much, much easier to clean than styrofoam

I really like your Avatar. Do you raise the White Crested Black Polish?

Yes. This is my first year hatching chicks from my own flock. They're neat birds

I have a pair of young Gold Laced Polish but the white crested black ones are just beautiful. I have to have some of those.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom