Little Giant Hatch Along

Quote:
No that won't mess things up I hand turned my second batch which recently just hatched they did just fine.

But I made a chart so I could check mark how many times I turned per day, and I chose to turn them 6 times in 24 hour periods every day.

You may not have to do it that many times but last year I only turned them 3 times a day and I ended up with really bad hatch rates.

For the fish tank thermometers, is is the flat ones you could actually stick onto the outside of the aquarium, or more like a mercury filled one? I think my temps are pretty good, 3 thermometers all within 1 degree at the most, but my humidity is another story. digital seems to be calibrated, tried it in different rooms, and then a steamy bathroom, saw reasonable changes, but my acu-rite never moves off of 50% ha ha, so yeah that is way off. dry method makes it easy for me, but i still am nosey and want to know every detail! you cannot say you are day 1 until 24 hours since you set right? I put mine in at 6 pm saturday night. wish I could fast forward!!!!

Quote:
This is the one I use http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture-Aquarium-Floating-Thermometer-1-ct/10795052 scroll down to see the image of it.

For the humidity I got the one from walmart it looks like a little clock for 1.00 just stand it up in the corner of the incubator any where it will read real good.

Day one depends on the time of day you set your eggs I have seen some people say if you set at 8 AM then that day will be your first day, If you set at 8 PM then the next day is your day 1.

I always give mine a day one on the second day this way I leave them a little window to hatch kind of like we trick our selves by setting the alarm 1 hour ahead of the actual time we are suppose to wake up so we give our self more time to wake up and get ready for work.

You will always have those 4 days to hatch in from day 18 - 21 no matter what.

Provided temps and humidity are good.

Quote:
This is the one I use http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture-Aquarium-Floating-Thermometer-1-ct/10795052 scroll down to see the image of it.

For the humidity I got the one from walmart it looks like a little clock for 1.00 just stand it up in the corner of the incubator any where it will read real good.

Day one depends on the time of day you set your eggs I have seen some people say if you set at 8 AM then that day will be your first day, If you set at 8 PM then the next day is your day 1.

I always give mine a day one on the second day this way I leave them a little window to hatch kind of like we trick our selves by setting the alarm 1 hour ahead of the actual time we are suppose to wake up so we give our self more time to wake up and get ready for work.

You found that at Wal-Mart?? In an actual store?? I have looked Wally World over and have only found one of those flat black stick on thermometers (like goes on the side of the fish tank). Please tell me WHEN you got this.

Quote:

You found that at Wal-Mart?? In an actual store?? I have looked Wally World over and have only found one of those flat black stick on thermometers (like goes on the side of the fish tank). Please tell me WHEN you got this.

I got 2 at the end of Feb, and I just bought another one this past Saturday for another incubator. And Yes in the actual store but it was the Super Walmart not sure if that makes a difference?

I paid like 1.60 for it ........

Quote:

I got 2 at the end of Feb, and I just bought another one this past Saturday for another incubator. And Yes in the actual store but it was the Super Walmart not sure if that makes a difference?

Well, we do have a Super Wal-Mart a few of them, but none of them carry these thermometers. Pet Smart does, but they ain't no $1.60
tongue.png
. I guess I am doing okay with the 2 that came with my bator and turner, they seem to be within a degree or two of each other. If I had ice I would find out for sure.
wink.png

Quote:

Well, we do have a Super Wal-Mart a few of them, but none of them carry these thermometers. Pet Smart does, but they ain't no $1.60
tongue.png
. I guess I am doing okay with the 2 that came with my bator and turner, they seem to be within a degree or two of each other. If I had ice I would find out for sure.
wink.png

I used that also with the first hatch this year the one that came with the incubator my daughter thought she was being smart and put it in the freezer just experimenting with it and poof lol it was busted broke in 2.

Now I use the fish tank thermometer it helps loads.
Use the ice water to calibrate them and the digital with probe, I have the Acu Rite digital with wire probe but that thing goes crazy on me every time when we reach lock down that's why I use the other thermometer. When you get the closest reading possible to each other then your good to go.

Wow, so excited to make my first post.
celebrate.gif
I've been a lurker for about 5 months, but finally decided to register because I'm going to try and hatch some eggs for the first time.

I have a LG still air, and I'm going to be hand turning them. We (me and my 10 year old daughter) set up the bator today, and now were just waiting and watching for the temps to even out. Hope to be able to set them tomorrow.

We've got 25 Black Copper Maran and 4 Welsummer eggs. This feels like a lot, but I want to have at least a few chicks make it
fl.gif

I'm really nervous and excited about this, and can't wait to see how it goes. I've been reading these threads for months, trying to get up the courage to just do it. So tomorrow I'm jumping in and I hope to be a new momma in 21 days!!!

Back
Top Bottom