Little Giant Hatch Along

glad you joined us! I would wait and see if it bring itself back up before turning the temp up. But wait and see what others have to say, as I could be off on my reasoning
hide.gif
Since this is the first time for me with the LG

Just found this thread. I am in!! Some of mine went in on the 24th but the majority went in on the 26th. I have Polish, Wheaten Marans and Orpingtons. I have a new LG with circulating fan and egg turner - my birthday present to myself. I have three thermometers in the unit so I can read the temp in various places (Sorry engineer here - I like data). I do not do a lot of incubating so I could not justify the expense of one of the fancy ones.

I should say that so far I have not had any issues and I am happy with my unit. The temperature stays consistent, I am doing a dry incubation though I have a digital hygrometer both inside and out. I set my unit up 3 days before and I have to say it took me about 48 hours to settle the temperature 99.5. Since there is no mark or temperature guide on the dial I made my own for the next time. I have not candled yet, so I guess I should be careful what I say.

I am really curious about my Polish eggs as they are my own. I have a silver laced roo over 2 WC blue and 1 WC black as well a sliver laced hen. No idea whose eggs they are but I cant wait to find out. The others I ordered and they were packed and delivered safe and sound.

Has anyone noticed that the temp is significantly higher under the fan motor? I did not put any eggs there as the temperature seemed to be 3-5 degrees higher than anywhere else. Once I am done I am going to put big black X's on the turner slots where the motor is so I dont put eggs there.

I am excited to hear about other's experiences as well!

Quote:
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif

I know when I first set ours up it was a bit warmer outside than it is now, but our house always runs cool thus temp. flux. I stopped messing with the heating knob, knowing I would just have to keep adjusting, so this is what I did.

I got a large beach towel and placed it underneath the bator with enough towel on the sides/front to flip up over the bator if needed. This has helped me tremendously. The temp still fluxes a bit, but no more than a few degrees and it is staying more toward the 100 range. I have also found that taking the red plugs out helps too. I don't leave them out all the time, but just now and then I will take both out for a bit then usually put one back in.

It is VERY COOL in our house today, so the temp is fluxing a bit, but should be okay.

Hope this helps in some way.

Good Luck and Have Fun

Oh, by the way what grade do you teach??

Glad you joined, cant wait to hear what those little polish look like when they hatch! I am wanting to get some marans ( thats on my list for my next hatch ) I have heard from a couple people that it's warmer under the fan but I am not sure as I don't have the fan
tongue.png
I am finding out already that hatching eggs is addicting
hide.gif
I hope someone can answer your question better

im still worried about my eggs progress. i incubated all of my leghorn eggs and still, after 72 hours in the bater, im still only getting a big dark spot, no veins, and no eye yet. this is in all of them. i candled one of the eggs i have that are not in the incubator and i dont even see a blob. am i over reacting here? or should i be seeing more. i am comparing what i see to the pictures i see on here

Quote:
yeah we are going to sell them. 5-6 month old pullets are bringing around $10 each at the sale barn so we hope to make some money. I also need to add some new hens to my flock and 25 chicks are meaties so they will go in the freezer (hopefully-we just brought home 500 pounds of beef a couple weeks ago and our freezers are full--so I may have to store some in a family member's freezer! already have beef in my mom and dads and my grandma freezer though...lol) I think we need another deep freezer...lol

Quote:
Can anyone help me here?

Wait till day 8-10 to candle if you haven't done it before. This way you have a better chance of seeing the veins. Most don't have a high power light to candle with so seeing something in 3 days is pretty much impossible and if you don't know exactly what you are looking for thats just another strike against you.

So I'm no expert only have one hatch under my belt but I have read a lot on here. I was very interested in candling and did it on day 5 and saw very little so I waited.

@ Mommysongbird- I teach preschool, 3 year olds.

Thank you to everyone for the advice. I think I will wait and see what the temp has done after nap. The sun is back out and shinning, so we'll see if that changed anything!

Back
Top Bottom